Around Here: Week 42 10/13-10/19

Tuesday, October 29, 2019

A glimpse into what it is like to live in our home just this wonderfully crazy minute.
















Intentional Outdoor Hours: 668+ hours (of 1000)
Up only five hours this week but I did get in a walk with the dogs which we both really needed. It's hard now to get them out since it's hunting season, so Sunday has sort of become our long walk days. The kids are still anxiously awaiting for us to have enough leaves in the yard for a pile, but we just aren't there yet. The trees are looking awfully beautiful though and when the sun hits the mountain across the valley from us, it's really gorgeous.

Reading and finishing Born a Crime by Trevor Noah. I loved this book so much and keep recommending it to anyone who asks if I've read any good books lately. Its one part historically informative, one part funny, one part momma-inspiring, and one big part language focused which I loved a lot. Just so so good, I can't say enough about it. I started our next Books & Brews book club choice: Before We Were Yours by Lisa Wingate. And our ProjectLit group at school officially met to hand out our first book selection: Monster by Walter Dean Myers

Feeling uncomfortable in all my clothes...ya know mommas - not quite looking pregnant for sure but clothes are definitely not fitting right and everything feels bleh. yeah, I'm there at 14 weeks. I laughed aloud when my pregnancy app informed me that our baby is as big as a troll doll. So far, it is sucha a sweet babe though mostly allowing me to operate as usual. I had a regular check up on Wednesday and all is cooking along nicely in there. That butterfly wing heartbeat makes my soul sing.

Smiling and feeling so grateful for teachers that see all the good in kids and go the extra miles. Gemma's sweet teacher, Mrs. Digon, put together a little folder for her with so many copied worksheets for her to play school at home - which is Gem's favorite. She included a sweet note about how it used to be one of her favorite ways to play too. Gemma was joyful to the moon over her new 'teacher supplies' and I am so grateful that she finds so much happiness in the thing that is also so hard for her. Thank you teachers, all of you, for all the ways you help kids shine their brightest.

Organizing our second Teacher's potluck lunch on Thursday. We had a fall flavors theme (cinnamon, apples, chili powder, potatoes, etc). It was really delicious and I love getting to see the variety that everyone brings in. One of our teachers, Christy, also brought in her recipe for her cinnamon/sugar scones which I thought was such a great idea for a potluck!

Relying on Just Dance Youtube videos on chilly nights when the kids all need to get their wiggles out! We all got in on the dancing (and laughing) as we tried to copy the moves. If you don't know where to start, some of our favorites include "I'm Still Standing," "Waka Waka," "Pound the Alarm," and "Timber." You just search the title of the song with "Just Dance" on youtube and you are in for some hilarious fun!

Giving extra hugs and smooches to my handsome hubs for our 11th wedding anniversary. I had the outside of my classroom door ambushed with a bunch of anniversary wishes (haha, thanks Chad - very sneaky!) and we received so many sweet messages from our friends and family. Everyday is worth celebrating though when I'm married to that guy - so we keep it pretty lowkey otherwise.

Visiting the corn maze with the Fiores. We visited Vale Wood Farms this year which worked out nicely since Gemmi had a sleepover with Sophie the night before (thank you!) We wandered about the different areas, including the corn box (always a fav) and meandered through the corn maze. It was kind of lowkey, but we had beautiful weather and the kids had fun - so it was a win!

Zombie-watching at the You in Flood City Zombie Crawl downtown. My amazing little sis has been organizing this event for several years and there were over 280 zombies that came out to visit local bars. I took pictures (dressed as a zombie hunter) during the registration and then B and I got dinner at Wooly's - thank you for babysitting Miss Hannah!

Fall Sporting with 2 football practices and one final Path of the Pride cheer event to chaperone on Friday night. All three divisions were announced before the Varsity game for their undefeated seasons and I was able to hang and watch them game until after the second quarter and then I totally bailed because I was freeeeezing. I even caved and came home and turned on the heat (only to 65 but we were at 60 in the house when I got home!)...So our annual game of 'see-how-long-we-can-hold-out-on-the-heat' ended on 10/18 this year.

Teaching only 4 days this week because of a in-service on Monday. We had a really great keynote speaker though that I really enjoyed. Spanish 1 is still working through Capibara con Botas, including reader's theater with props (thank you to Ashley; my classroom fairy godmother) for Chapters 7&8 which had us all cracking up. Spanish 2 is half way through their novel Tumba and we did a StoryboardThat.com to summarize chapters 5&6 and then did a free write with it. Spanish 2 Honors started their next novel, El Silbón de Venezuela and Spanish 3/4 Honors did some pre-work about the legend La Llorona.  I also got 1 of 4 of my formal observations done this week by my principal - so yay.

Making chicken cordon bleu pasta casserole, sloppy joes and potatoes in the air fryer, spaghetti for the kids and Claysburg stromboli for B and I (best fundraiser!)

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!