Around Here Week 40: 09/29-10/05

Thursday, October 17, 2019

A glimpse into what it is like to live in our home just this minute.




photo cred: Leisha B
















Intentional Outdoor Hours: 652+ hours (of 1000)
Can I just repeat everyone else and say, "I am so grateful to live in a world that has Octobers."

Reading Children of Eden by Joey Graccefa, it's not my favorite YA dystopia story, but it's decent. I'm working through it little by little but mostly falling asleep after reading literally one sentence while putting the kids to sleep (thanks baby #5!) We had our Books & Brews book club meeting at Tap 814 where we discussed You Think It, I'll Say It by Curtis Sittenfeld and selected our next book, Before We Were Yours by Lisa Wingate! (I had the most delicious bacon/maple brussel sprouts at Tap, y.u.m.)

Sharing the big news that we are expecting another babe! Thank you all for you kindness and congratulations. Ashley (bwf) sent me the sweetest (and this baby's first) gift through snail mail which was so very thoughtful (thank you!) We are excited and I am so grateful that this baby is so kind to me because honestly, I am just marching on through this very busy fall season (ie. lack of blog timeliness) until I can breathe again in late November and finally consider the fact that...holy cow we are having another baby!

Working through some new techniques for Gemma. I created flashcards with her high frequency words that she needs to practice and I added a little visual image that can give her a clue for the word. She was practicing and looked up at me and said, "No, seriously, this is actually helping!" It was a empowering moment for both of us. I have also started reading her AR books on the ipad/video app so that when she wakes up in the morning she can listen/read it again before going to school.

Starting the #last90dayschallenge. Have you heard of this? I was introduced to it by my friend and coworker Renee (hi!) The idea is that instead of working on new years resolutions to start the year right - we can use the last 90 days of the year (beginning Oct 1) to refocus and get yo' mind right to begin a new year. So, generally you choose five things you will commit to doing for the last 90 days; there are a set of five suggestions - but I chose my own five (below) and I'm tracking daily in my planner to see how I'm doing. I'm not hitting all five every day, but I am getting most of them daily and it's definitely keeping me intentional.
  • french kiss my husband every day
  • spend at least 30 minutes outside
  • set me phone grayscale 'nighttime' sleep mode to 9:30p
  • wake up at 5:30a
  • read a book with a child
Wishing all you Outdoorsman Wives out there a Happy First day of Archery! 

Supporting Grey physically and emotionally when he twisted his ankle at school this week. During marathon fun day - on the first event!- Grey twisted his ankle and had to sit out for awhile. After it continued to swell the rest of the day, we got a call from the nurse to pick him up where he iced and elevated it with passion because he was so worried about the big game vs. Portage on Sunday. Honestly, I've never seen that kid so dedicated to a regime! He was super bummed about being left home on the morning of the first day of archery (actual real tears) but Brandon and Pappy came back to take him in the afternoon. It was not a good idea to have him bumbling around through the woods on a bad ankle the day before the game - but try telling that to my 9yr old outdoorsman!

Fall Sporting with two football practices and one cheer practice during the week. And then on Friday night, we all got together to march in the Homecoming parade leading into the Varsity game at the high school. My flag cheerleaders did a great job and even did the Wigalo cheer with the Varsity girls in the parking lot before the parade began (seriously so cute that I had tears in my eyes!) Grey walked the whole way (even on his bum ankle) and then B and Gemma stayed for the Varsity game - but I took the other three home because it was so chilly when the sun went down and Grey need to rest his ankle and the two little snot nosed babes and I needed jammies (let's be honest).

Frugal living by re-using the candy we just scored at the NS hoco parade to throw at the CT hoco parade this week. Hah! The babies got about 4 lbs. of candy thrown at them last week at NS, so this week when we had two parade candy throwers - yeah, we just rebagged and threw it. I can't take credit for this one, it was totally B and I was all like - 'oh come on, let's buy new candy' and he was like for $4 a bag...but why?

Teaching Spanish 1 about Ecuador, rainforests, and capybaras as we prepare to start their first novel El Capibara con Botas next week! Spanish 2 practiced the cumbia dance steps, learned about cenotes in Mexico and reviewed Day of the Dead themes to prepare to start their first novel of they year, Tumba. Spanish 2 Honors read and listened to the legend of El Cucuy while Spanish 3/4 Honors finished the Musica tournament (Ricky Martin's Livin' la Vida Loca won!) and explored the paintings and life of the incredible Frida Kahlo. In all classes, we reviewed (and practiced) our active shooter training plan too.

Making baked bbq chicken sandwiches (on leftover hot dog buns), turkey tacos over baked potatoes (so so good!), fridge clean out night, garlic toast pizzas (big hit with the kids!), harvest ranch crunch mix, burgers on the grill with curly fries in the air fryer, and white chicken chili over rice.

2 comments:

  1. I love your five goals for #thelast90dayschallenge l've never heard of this but I think it's brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So happy to hear about your new teaching aid for Gemma! My kids really thrive from a visual component too. This is so big! Excited for you both. XOXO

    ReplyDelete