love reminder

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

I recently received a very sweet fbook msg from one my friends that is getting married this summer.  We were chatting back and forth about plans and dates and when I asked her how she was feeling about the fast approaching date, she said that she was feeling a little overwhelmed, but..."I'm definitely excited to be [his] wife, though, and I need to keep reminding myself that's the most important thing of all."

And it took me right back to that counting-down-until-saying-I-do-and-not-being-able-to-remove-the-smile-off-my-face-thinking-about-becoming-his-wife days.  I remember the very first time I was called Brandon's wife out loud.  It was our wedding day, after the ceremony and we were taking pictures.  The photographer said, "Brandon, can you put your arm around your wife."  And we both looked at each other in disbelief...that was ME!  Finally.  It was the most beautiful and honored title I had to date.  his wife.  All those long distance phone calls we endured, all the fights and make-ups, all the wedding planning, and then finally I made it - I was his wife.

Two and half years, two cats, a psycho dog, our first home, and a kid later has done a little wear and tear to my title as his wife.  The cable guy comes to the door - "Are you Mr. Studer's wife...can you show me where the cable box is?"...I call the dentist, "Hi, this is Brandon's wife, can I reschedule his appointment, please."  Somehow the title went from wife/his beloved/shining bride to wife/director of the repairmen/rescheduler of the appointments. 

But reading my blushing bride of a friend's gushing words brought me back to those days that all I could ever hope for was in that title.  And today when the doctor said, "Well, as his wife, I'm hoping you'll share those traveler's diarrhea pills while on vacation, right?"  I smiled and thought, "yes, because I'm his wife.

So thank you for reminding ME, dear friend.  you are right - it is the most important thing, even now.

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!