Around Here Week 47: 11/21-27

Wednesday, December 8, 2021

 A glimpse into what it is like to live in our home just this (I cannot believe it is almost December already) moment (?!) 








#reality on 'put away your clean clothes' days



















Intentional Outdoor Hours: 558+ hours (of 1000)
It was a chilly one this week, definitely feeling like winter now. We had to start switching out the farm waterers as they are freezing now which just adds on an extra layer of difficulty to the outside chores - but it is what it is! The kids are still getting some time outside while I have slowed way down on my time outside (only a little over an hour this week!?) 

Reading and finishing What I Carry by Jennifer Longo. Oh! I loved it! (thank you for the recommendation Shelly!) Francine is who I want to be when I grow up in almost every way possible. It was a beautiful story with a happy ending about circumstances that are challenging and misunderstood and so often exploited. I was inspired. I especially loved this line (from Francine), "Okay, then do something about it. Don't waste your energy wallowing in guilt. Take this one time things turn out right....Guilt never fixed anything. Hard work fixes shit all the time."  Then I started Shout by Laurie Halse Anderson

Celebrating Olive's baptism on Sunday. We are so grateful that our family and friends could be there on our little sweets' special day. Heather stood for her in church as her godmother (her godfather Ray sent prayers and love to us from his own kids' swim meets 3 hrs away!) Abba, Gigi, and Mimi all made food for the party and Uncle Juice brought white Russian supplies, and everyone stayed and chatted and enjoyed our sweet baby girl. Thank you Heather and Ray for being her godparents - she is so very blessed to have you both. 

Tripping over hangers. Rusty and Red use the hangers like pretend bows and have them stuffed down the backs of their shirts all day, everyday - running around to pull them out to shoot at invisible monsters, bucks, or bad guys. 

Ordering Christmas cards! 

Eating all the sweet potatoes and stuffing for Thanksgiving! We got to celebrate with two delicious meals - on Wednesday evening with Gigi, Pappy, and Mimi and on Thursday with Abba, Chum, Kitty, Uch, Kevin, and Wells! So much good food and so much wonderful family time. We watched a little of the Macy's parade on Thanksgiving morning, I made pumpkin roll, and we all announced what we were thankful for. Plus - bonus! - It was my dad's birthday on actual Thanksgiving so we even got to sing and enjoy cake in honor of Chummie! It was a great day and we are truly so very thankful. 

Getting a covid test on Friday because after a week and a half I am still sick!? When I was sick last week, Covid wasn't even on my radar because I'm a sahm and no one else was sick - where the heck would I have picked it up?! But still sick a week and a half later (not nearly as bad as I was, but this persistent dry cough) I wanted to get it squared away. We bailed on weekend games for Gem and sleepovers for the kids until I get my results back. They were bummed, but they bounce back pretty quickly from disappointment (haha, #bigfamilyperks) Feeling very grateful the kids all got vaccinated as the most sick of us has been me (J&J vaccine in March) and the two babies. B got his booster this fall so he got away pretty easily too.

Experiencing panic attacks for the first time in my whole life. Is this a covid thing? It was really really scary and in this week I've experienced two. The internet says it might actually be a covid thing..?! I'm hoping to never have it happen again because it was awful and terrifying and I think I scared B even more - so yeah, let's be done with that. 

Losing a goat this week. Ugh, heartbreaking. Our Archie got bloat this week and we tried every single thing to try to save her. It was terrible to see her decline and we tried so hard (especially B). He ended up having to put her down on Thanksgiving morning because she was suffering too long. Honestly, I think that was what jump started my anxiety actually. Rest in Peace sweet Archie. Sometimes being a farmer is very sad. 

Pulling out the Christmas decorations including the tree! We got all the Thanksgiving stuff taken down and the kids helped me decorate on Saturday while the boys were hunting. We got the tree up but waited to put on the ornaments until the boys got home. I am very relaxed about the decorations, especially the ornaments because the kids play with everything the whole month of December. Anything breakable is up high and everything else is free game as toys all month. 

Listening to "You Make It Feel like Christmas: by Gwen Stefani and Blake Shelton on repeat. It's the girls' and my favorite so far this season - we even made up a dance to the chorus! 

Bracing for more hunting. Archery finished up this week and now the boys are onto rifle season! No luck yet on a buck, but they sure are putting the time in! They spent Friday afternoon in the woods scouting out spots and then all day on Saturday with the Gilmores and Pappy hoping to see deer. Reid got a nice buck, but the rest of them went home empty handed on the first day. 

Starting our Holiday movie must-see list! First on the list Noelle (on Disney+ with Anna Kendrick) Other movies include: National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation, Home Alone, Gremlins, Babes in Toyland, The Grinch with Jim Carrey, The Grinch (animated newer version), Christmas with the Kranks, and The Christmas Chronicles (both movies but especially the second one). Which movies are on your holiday must watch list? 

Sporting with one basketball game and one practice for Gemma. She got to help her teammates decorate a cabin at Camp Harmony for their Christmas light display competition too! (If you want to check it out and drive through the beautiful light displays - check out the details here!) Grey had one basketball practice and Brandon took Gemma with him to the Varsity football banquet on Sunday night after his basketball league game. 

Making meatball sammies for Liv's baptism (and enjoying leftovers the next day too!), kielbasa and haluski, frozen pizza, and sweet and sour chicken over rice. We got to use some leftover turkey for yummy open faced sandwiches with gravy (my fav!) and I made two pumpkin rolls to take to our family dinners.

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!