Around Here Week 10: 03/02-07

Saturday, March 14, 2020

A peek into what it is like to live in our home just this minute.






















Intentional Outdoor Hours:  10+ hours (of 1000)
With no new hours to report. I was cranky third trimester pregnant this week and did a lot of laying on my left side and sleeping. Kids are still whopping me in outdoor time, so at least for that!

Reading and finishing The Toll by Neal Shusterman. I loved the series but also relieved to be out of that world. hahaha, it had me really sucked in and I was thinking about it all the time. Now, I'm (finally) finishing our Books & Brews book club choice, Just Mercy by Bryan Stevenson. The book is particularly poignant with the news of Nate Woods - another innocent man executed in Alabama - just this week. So very heartbreaking and awful that we live in a world that this has ever happened (let alone still happens).

Nesting big time. We reorganized the boys' room to fit the crib and a new dresser that Rust & baby bro will share. We swapped out the girls' dressers for two new ones (thank you Fiores!) and organized all the baby clothes/bedding/blankies. I washed sneakers this week, Brandon cleaned the fridge, the kids helped move furniture in the living room to fit the baby's swing, and we all ripped and tore through the playroom to get it cleaned out (and purged of broken stuff!) Rust and Violet organized books and toys that would be good for the baby too. We are all starting to get pretty antsy to meet this little dude.

Chopping hair for Gem, Violet, and Rust. They all needed a clean up and on Sunday evening I had enough energy to spare to cart them all together. We were lucky to get a slot that they could all simultaneously get their hair cut! Gem got 9inches cut off to donate to Wigs for Kids with Hairloss. She looks so cute and fresh with her new 'do. Violet got a sweet little bob that looks so adorable I can't take it - really highlights her dimples. Rust man looks like a full grown kid and loves to be called "Little Grey" now.

Registering the Peanut for Kindergarten! She is excited and the big kids are happy to give her regular reminders of how school will be next year. ("You'll ride the bus with us!" "You will get to have specials like Steam with Mrs. Roxby!" "You're going to have to do homework just like us every night!")

Checking tasks off my 'before maternity leave' to do at school list. We had next year's requistions due this week, I caught up on a bunch of grading, and added a few more copied plans and information to my long term substitute maternity binder. Prom Committee is knocking things off our master list (prom week dress up ideas! Prom tshirt designs!) and Spanish club is starting to close out our last month together (plans for our last elem visit! Project Treedom tshirt designs!) It feels overwhelming some days, but with each thing checked off the list - I feel more and more at ease.

Frustrated about this naughty baby. We had another ultrasound this week and my placenta is still low lying and the cord is still in the way of the exit. That means it is twice a week Non-Stress Tests for us from here on out with the addition of weekly visits now at 34 weeks. I'm feeling so low and heavy in the front and just plain miserable. My apologies to anyone who has to personally deal with me because I am no peach at the end of pregnancy - this is my very least favorite part because my body is like it's not even my own and does nothing like I need/want it to. It's all very frustrating and I'm just ready for it to be over. Give me this baby in my arms and my body back to me, please.

Laughing about Violet and her independent tooth puller policy. Daddy is our Chief of Loose Teeth, but Violet is adamant about pulling it out herself. Her little bottom tooth is so loose it's practically horizontal!

Grateful for family who leans in when we need them as I waddle through these last few weeks. Abba and Chum helped us move, relocate, and organize all the furniture as we figured out how to get new baby brother's equipment in the boys' room! Aunt Uch grabbed Grey from basketball practice Monday night while B attended a football board meeting and I took the little three with me to file our taxes. Pappy took Gem to her first BB gun league shoot while B took Grey to a basketball game. Aunt Kitty came over to visit on Thursday evening and brought pizza for dinner and then gave the babies a bath while I took a nap after school (I love you!) Kuma, Mimi, and Morgan took Gem out for a pedicure and then met our Garretson cousins at Pizza Hut for a fun surprise dinner! And Aunt Uch picked up the girls and took them to a bridal shower on Friday while I was at my NST so that we didn't all have to walk in late

Ordering a new vacuum cleaner because ours officially died this week. It was time, but still frustrating to have to make a purchase and living in a house of 6 humans and two dogs at the start of spring, there's no way around it.

Day dating at my students' boys' basketball game in the state playoffs. They won! After the game, B and I ate far too much at Woodside Grill, but it was delicious and uninterrupted by kids, so, ya know- hah. Thank you Miss Hannah for babysitting in the kiddos!

Visiting with the Vorndrans on Saturday night at our house. So good to see them and catch up - but most of all to see the kiddos all together. The girls adore Claire while Rust and Caleb marched around the house talking about hilarious things and using every nerf gun in our house. We love you!

College'ing by reading a bunch of articles and getting to work on the first draft of my research paper. So much citation, sweet Lord.

Spring Sporting with two indoor baseball practices this week! Grey and Gem are both shooting in a BB gun league and it was the first shoot this week!

Winter sporting with the last week of basketball (outside of weekend tournaments!) Grey had two Storm practices and 3 games this week including a playoff game that they won on Saturday evening!

Teaching chapters 5-7 of Brandon Brown in Spanish1 including a dictation quiz and small group oral presentations. Spanish 2 worked through chapters 5-7 in Esperanza while Spanish2 Honors started Somos 1 Unit 13 about piropos. Spanish3/4 started reading Felipe Alou chapters 1-4, took a vocab quiz, and we made Morir SoƱando slushies in class.

Making Walmart chicken tenders (pre-made!) with mashed potatoes, sloppy joes, chicken/veggie/stuffing casserole, pulled pork in the crockpot, and frozen pizzas.

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!