Around Here Week 46: 11/10-11/16

Sunday, November 24, 2019

A peek into what it is like to live in our home just this moment.














Intentional Outdoor Hours:  682+ hours (of 1000)
Up a mere 2 hours this week. It really does come down to the kinds of clothes that you wear that make it possible to be outside at any time. I keep forgetting to put gloves in my coat pockets (problem#1) but I have installed my favorite winter trick - wearing leggings under my work pants each day to work!

Reading Monster by Walter Dean Myers and finishing it just in time for our first Project Lit meeting on Friday morning with the students. It was such a wonderful way to start our Friday - with book club!- and the conversations were insightful. The students got our next two books - The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas and They Both Die at the End by Adam Silvera. (I've already read them both!) Our next Project Lit meeting is set for our early out day before winter break and will include a movie viewing of The Hate U Give! Now I'm waiting on Recursion by Blake Crouch to arrive because I have an obsessssssssion.

Enjoying the sight of our first snow of the winter season. It was really coming down and blowing there for a little bit which immediately had Grey and Gem asking about delays and snow days (hah! nice try!)

Calling in the village on Monday and Tuesday when the big kids didn't have school for Veteran's Day/Parent-Teacher conference day. Miss Hannah came to the rescue on Monday and kept all four kids home from school all day (we love you!) and on Tuesday, Mimi took the two big kids and then last minute Rusty too when he threw up (into my cupped hands) before we were about to leave for school! B had a conference in Pittsburgh, so he dropped all three off at Mimi's for the day while I carted (a not happy) Violet to day care. I ended up getting a call at lunch that she had a temp of 101 and needed picked up. I was lucky to only have 1 class left for the day and I could sneak away to pick her up and bring her home to rest and heal. B stopped at the hospital to visit after his conference and then went straight to the board meeting, so I picked up the other three from Mimi's house and we all about collapsed into bed that night after a such a busy and weird day.

Meeting Grey's teachers at the parent-teacher conference/check-in night. We had a nice chat and it was good to make sure he is on track. I missed this night last year and then ended up having a difficult year and so I wanted to make sure I touched base this year.

Having my belly officially 'pop' at 18 weeks (big as a sweet potato!) and my students have finally stopped saying "oh yeah, I forgot you were pregnant" since it's blatantly obvious now. This babe is flopping and swimming all around in there and besides the raging heartburn that sets in every evening around 8:30p, it's a pretty easy going babe. We are throwing around a different name every time we talk about the baby just to try it out (hahha!) and we each have our own favorites. We tried to take votes at dinner the other night but no one in the family could agree on anything. Most of our favorites fit within the color(ish) theme (Grey, Gem, Violet, Rust). Just like every other thing for this poor Studerbabe#5 we keep shrugging and saying, "We have time; we can think about that later."

Cozying up to celebrate Chum's 60th birthday! My sisters, mom, the kids, and I hunkered down in a cabin at Seven Springs for the weekend hanging out and sharing food and laughs to celebrate my dad's upcoming birthday. The kids loved the hot tub and despite a cranky night's sleep with the two littlest ones (still so tricky for sleepovers at this age) we had an awesome time just relaxing with our family.

Grateful to have our loved one home from the hospital and recuperating after a long two weeks!

Sighing and rolling my eyes all day every day because....archery season. Thank goodness it ended on Saturday! Now I only have to survive rifle season and I'll have a normal husband and son back in my life again (ugh, ugh, ugh) #outdoorsmanswifeprobs

Fall sporting for one last week! We turned in uniforms and equipment on Sunday and B stayed all afternoon to help get everything organized. Becky and I are in the final stretch to get everything squared away for the banquet (on Sunday!) and I sorted so many checks, registration forms, and matching online reservations that my eyes were almost crossed by the end of the night. But we got our caterers the final numbers, printed all the blank thank you cards for the kiddos, and created the Just Dance playlist!

Teaching the Super 7 verbs to Spanish 1 still by finishing up the personal interviews with two students from the class. We also talked about the conjugations for each depending on perspective. Spanish 2 played pictionary with their animal vocab words (always hilarious) and listened to the Joe Hayes reading of El Cucuy. Spanish 2 Honors started their spooky stories writing mini-unit and I started doing check-ins with the partners. Spanish 3/4 Honors worked through La Llorona Chapters 11-12 and we are all about ready to get to the end of this book!

Making a ham in the crockpot that we had with mashed potatoes and gravy, and then had left overs enough for all kinds of deliciousness including creamy ham and noodles. I whipped up some pumpkin/chocolate muffins and fruit "sushi" for our Project Lit meeting at school on Friday and made some Peanut Butter cookies on Saturday night in preparation for the football/cheer banquet on Sunday. I was so grateful to get two dinners delivered to us this week from our sweet cousin Heather. We enjoyed lasagna (Studer sized - haha!) and the yummiest ham&cheese baked slider sandwiches. Thank you so much Heather, you are such a blessing!

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!