Around Here Week 45: 11/03-11/09

Monday, November 18, 2019

A glimpse into what it is like to live in our home just this minute.




















Intentional Outdoor Hours:  680+ hours (of 1000)
Up only 3 hours this week, but I did get a night time walk in with the dogs. It has been difficult to get a walk in with them as it has been archery season, but we all needed some fresh air and some wide open space - so I suited up in Brandon's super warm hunting gear, flipped on my head lamp and we took a long stroll.

Reading and finishing Before We Were Yours by Lisa Wingate.  Omi, that was a good one, but so hard on my heart too. I finished the book with tears and my eyes and the love in my heart for my sisters bubbling fiercely. (#scf) I now am in a race to finish Monster by Walter Dean Meyers before our Project Lit meeting next Friday!

Saying prayers for a family member who unexpectedly went to the hospital. It took a lot of tests and waiting around until she was transferred to Shadyside, but things look to be on the right track - so here's to good vibes and great work for doctors and nurses that take care of those we love.

Waiting by the phone for updates about Gemma's evaluation. She met with a neuropsychologist in Pittsburgh to be evaluated for learning disability/dyslexia on Tuesday and my momma's heart was twisted up with not being able to be there myself. Brandon did a great job though providing all information - or getting the questions to me, and then reporting back progress through the day. We will hear back at our follow-up call in a few weeks, but I am so glad that step number 1 is done and we are moving forward on figuring out how best to support our girl in reading, writing, and language arts!

Starting to feel the indoor playtime pressure of winter. The weather has definitely changed into chilly and it starts to get dark around 530p, so we are pulling out the winter favorites around here to keep kids occupied - legos, puzzles, Just Dance on youtube, and coloring/drawing. There is also lots of wrestling (this is why we can't have nice things) and mini-basketball hoop games happening too.

Admitting (ok, FINE) I already watched a few Hallmark Christmas movies while folding clothes this week. I'm THAT girl.

Feeling so incredibly proud (to tears!) of my little sis Kayla who came to speak to our student body at our Veteran's Day assembly on Friday. Her speech was funny and inspiring and so many students came up to me during the rest of the day to tell me that they loved hearing her speak and to "please let her know that she did a great job." One of my more trying students even asked me, "But why is your sister like 100% more bad ass than you?" and I was like, "Dude, I know." She spent the morning at my school to give her speech and then drove over to Grey&Gem's school to attend their Veteran's Day assembly as their guest and have lunch with them (and Gem's tooth fell out while Aunt Kitty was there, hah!)

Birthday party'ing it all day Saturday. Grey got to spend the morning playing paintball for Halen's birthday party (so fun!) and Gem spent the afternoon painting and playing at Ava's birthday party!

Enduring archery season. Oh sweet baby Jesus, give me patience. B and Grey set up a blind in the upper right hand part of our field because we have deer passing through every single day (unless of course they're in the blind - ha!) They have been going up to sit in it before the bus in the morning and then occasionally during the evening too (it just gets dark so fast after we get home from school!) Rust was so excited to get a chance to spend about an hour in the blind with dad on Saturday while Grey was at the birthday party. Rust said, "Imma shoot dat big buck and eat he's heart." #sendhelp #outdoorsmanmomma

Fall Sporting as AYFL champions! Grey and Coach Daddy played against Portage and won in the championship game on Sunday! Our boys had such a great season and were so proud to (attempt) to dump the Gatorade cooler over Coach Daddy's head after the game (hah!) They went undefeated all season and now champs! Banquet forms are

Teaching the Super 7 present tense verbs in Spanish 1, Spanish 2 started Somos 9 where they will be learning about the legend of El Cucuy. Spanish 2 Honors finished El Silbón and started watching Coco. Spanish 3/4 worked through Chapters 7-10 of La Llorona de Mazatlan. The Student Council sets up the Veteran's day breakfast that we host for the community, but the teachers supply the food and service. So our chickens gave 6 dozen eggs and I took care of the tablecloths and relied on my former waitress skills to warm up coffees, smile, and chat with all the local veteran's who came to school on Friday morning for a free hot breakfast!

Making chicken & wild rice soup with cheddar beer bread (only I accidentally used too flavorful not great IPA and it turned out yucky), steak and potatoes in the cast iron skillet, grilled cheese and noodle soup (thanks Abba!), stromboli & frozen pizzas for the kids while I had (pregnancy-safe) sushi take out

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!