Around Here Week 39: 09/23-29

Tuesday, October 9, 2018

A glimpse into what it is like to live in our home just this minute.


















Intentional Outdoor Hours:  495+ hours (of 1000)
Up another 18 hours this week and I finally caught up to (and passed!) my hours from last year at this point. woohoo!! The weather was inconsistent this week, but luckily we had a lot of activities that forced us outside for lots of hours. I dragged the kids out to the high school track late on Sunday night to get in a quick 1 mile run to try to prepare for our upcoming 5K race and all of our fall sports activities really upped our hours this week. 

Reading STILL This is How it Always is.  (I know, I'm a broken record).

Fall sporting with two games this week. We played Rockwood on Sunday and despite the chilly weather that day, everyone did great. Chum, Pappy, and Gigi traveled all the way out there to see the game too so it particularly nice to have all of our fans together. Then it rained and rained and rained for all the days and we bailed on practices because MUD. On Friday night, all the teams participated in the Homecoming parade down Main Street straight to the Hoco football game that night. Then we played North Star at home for our flag and minors team (which meant I saw all kinds of my students cheering on younger siblings #cantgetawayfromthesekids #donthateit). Grey's team had a hard fought won which keeps them still undefeated for the season! 

Singing happy birthday to our little peanut Vially Mary who turned four this week! She's still so squishy and sweet that it feels sort of heartbreaking that she's four; like a real preschooler instead of my little munchkin who was closer to a crib than she was kindergarten, but somehow, like always, I'm shocked by time. #everymothersprobs

Taking a half day at work to go to the dentist with the girls. We all originally had dentist appointments in April but due to who remembers what now, we had to reschedule and the earliest they could get us in was now (6 months later!) We all got good reports though and it always feels good to knock those kinds of things off the never-ending to-do list. 

Thanking the geniuses that spread the ideas on Pinterest when I finally got my classroom laptops under control thanks to two regular kitchen dish drainers and some binder clips. You should have seen me going on and on about them to every student and teacher (and maintenance staff worker) that stepped foot in my room.  The chromebooks are all lined up in their slots while all the charger plugs are readily available, blows.my.mind. #thankspinterestyetagain

Loving the random teacher perks like snacks brought by students from the Home Ec room (had amazing Apple Crisp last week - thanks Hunter and Mason!) and receiving beautiful, original artwork pieces to decorate my room (thank you Damien!) and the little post-it notes I find littering my desk that say "hola" and "have a good day!" (thank you Maggie & Maria). I got a big boost this year with a teacher's assistant first period, she has been such a blessing; making copies and grading vocab quizzes (xxox Alysha!!) 

Feeling jealous that B and the girls got to visit Baby Sukey before me! One of our favorite families had their new, sweet baby girl last week and B got to hold that little bundle before me when he dropped off Sukey's big sis (and Gem's bff) after we got to hang out with her off the bus on Friday and during the Hoco parade. Sukey's big bro, Ivan, stayed at our house for a sleepover that night though, because the next day we were.....

Running a 5K at the Que Classic! It was the most perfect fall weather day for a run, and we saw loads of people we know at the race. I ran into a former student, a current student, lots of friends, cousins, and a former co-worker! Grey and Ivan left me in the dust (expected) and I had an enjoyable race at my turtle pace. Every time I run I think, "this is so nice," so I must get back into it. I got to see that sweet baby Sukey after the race at the finish line where she cheered/slept her way through our finishes.

Teaching about the Spanish Alphabet and finishing up Spanish speaking country/weather projects this week in Spanish 1 and Spanish 1 Honors. The Spanish 2 students started learning about Ecuador and Capybaras to prepare for their first novel this year, Capibara con Botas. The Spanish 2 Honors kids continued reading Brandon Brown; we missed a day together this week as they all traveled to DC to visit the Holocaust museum with their History class. Spanish 3 Honors is digging into Esperanza and we are moving at just the right pace following along with Martina Bex plans. I am getting more used to moving at a chapter every other day and really pulling apart sentences and details to make sure the kids are following along. 

Spanish club organized a FĂștbol Fanatico day for the fan appreciation night when we had three teams playing home games. It POURED outside, so the kids and I set up our pop up tent and painted as many faces as stopped to visit us! 

Making chicken, veggie, & stuffing casserole, hot dogs and mac&cheese for Violet's birthday dinner choice, chicken and wild rice soup with 4 ingredient homemade bread , and spaghetti. We also had some banana blueberry muffins when I woke up one morning at 5am with a passion at using up some brown bananas #weirdmomprobs

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!