Around Here Week 37: 09/09-15

Tuesday, October 9, 2018

A glimpse into what it is like to live in our house just this (wacky, crazy, whirlwind of a) minute.


















Intentional Outdoor Hours: 459+ hours  (of 1000)
Up only 11 hours this week thanks to so much rain. Good grief. It would not let up and we had our driveway washed away again for about the tenth time this summer/fall. We did snag some hours at the football game on Friday night, but it honestly rained so much we had to cancel football and cheerleading practices! It was a muddy, depressing mess all week.

Reading (still) This is How it Always Is by Laurie Frankel and finding it hard to squeeze in the time to get it finished. Every time I do get a chance to read it, I really love the writing and the story, but life, man; it's sucking all my free time away!

Celebrating the life of my Uncle Mike with a brunch and gathering at my mum&dad's house. He passed this fall unexpectedly but it was so wonderful to see all the people who cared for him and who care for my momma and uncle (his siblings). It was a beautiful day inside, filled with warmth and love - even if it was raining outside. (thank you to all who came and helped and made food, it meant so much to my mumma.)

Honoring first responders on Sept. 11th. My students wrote out thank you cards for our in-house first responder/resource officer Mr. Schmidt and the kids and I delivered chocolate chip muffins and thank you notes to one of our favorite first responders (and our neighbor, and the kids' resource officer at school) Mike.

Visiting the Que for Benny's fourth birthday party while the clouds parted and we got a break in the rain for the little man. Ben is Violet's best friend (and cousin) so she was over the moon to get to spend the evening with him. The kids played on the playground and in the sand while I got to enjoy delicious food and adult conversation with cousins, aunts, and Mimi. A perfect outdoor evening - which we all needed.

Pulling Gemma's front tooth out which has been so loosey goosey for days. It was making me more crazy than it was making her! She finally allowed B to pull it out and we all sighed with relief. A little toothless grin looks perfect on her. Unfortunately, the poor tooth fairy must have got delayed in Hurricane Flo (?!!?!) and she didn't make it to our house that night (#mommafail) but what luck (!) the tooth fairy did make it to Abba's house who brought over Gemma's loot that afternoon.  (#closeone)

Feeling grateful that my hubs has been my lunch date for almost the whole week straight. One day we planned to eat together, then I forgot my lunch, then I needed a lunch, then I wanted chocolate (boy, did he deliver with a GIANT Hershey's bar - hah). It has been so lovely to spend a period a day with him while we chat and snack, even if students are constantly hanging out in my room and interrupting our conversations and asking me 20 thousand questions about Spanish club (haha). It is so comforting to be high school sweethearts still.

Wandering through the Ligonier Farmer's Market and loving it. Uch and Kitty went with the three littlest kids on Saturday morning (B and Grey had football) and we tried free samples, and bought unnecessary snacks, and even got to listen to some live music. Gosh, do I ever love the farmer's market.

Date nighting while Miss Hannah hung out with the kiddos at our house. I met B out at the Elk's club after his golf outing and we spent some time with my Aunt Dar and Uncle Mike before we headed out to listen to our friend Bruce and his band play at Shotziz's with my Dad and sisters.

Teaching greetings, goodbyes, and numbers 1-30 in Spanish 1 which also included learning how to play Manos Nerviosas. Spanish 2 learned about La Universidad (quiere ser, toma, and habla), while Spanish 2 Honors got into Brandon Brown Quiere un Perro, their first novel of the year. Spanish 3 was still learning about Guatemala and this week we did an immigration simulation which included a mock citizenship test to be able to immigrate to the US legally. The kids were really engaged and we even had  'coyotes' and green cards through 'marriage' happen naturally as students had difficulty passing the citizenship test and their classmates wanted to help them get to 'Merica (the 'USA' area had snacks and desks/chairs).

Making crispy bbq chicken wraps, spaghetti, homemade pizzas, and we had a leftover/fridge clean out night. We made our favorite chocolate chip/pumpkin muffins to deliver to our first responders (and our bus driver!)

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!