Around Here Week 14: 04/04-10

Monday, April 19, 2021

 A glimpse into what it is like to live in our home just this moment. 




















photo cred: Jenn V





Intentional Outdoor Hours: 45+ hours (of 1000)
It's bloom week! At the beginning of the week we could see buds on all the trees and by Thursday everything had burst into life. Our trees all have tiny leaves or little blossoms, our perennials have burst through the soil, and everything looks greener and fuller. Oh the happiness the blooming spring trees brings to me is obscene. I literally blow kissed out the car window on my way to work at all the blooming trees and the kids and I whisper "grow, grow" when we walk by flowers or bushes working on coming back to life. As much as I love the warm and slowness of summer -there is something downright magical about spring. I know it's because of the long winter we barely get through, but that only helps us see how beautiful the new life in spring is! 

Reading and finishing Barefoot and Balanced by Angela J Hanscom. Such an important read for parents and made me feel even more passionate about outdoor time and free active play. I could literally talk for hours and hours about it if you are ever interested (LOL). 

Enjoying Easter with our family. I tried so hard to make it to church with the crew, but as the morning progressed, Red's nose continued to run and make him fussy and my baby bump was making it hard to get through the morning - so we bailed (ugh) but made use of the time by going to Mimi's house and seeing her for the holiday. After visiting with Mimi and getting to see Gigi and Pappy too (!) we headed to my parents' house for lunch and egg hunting and general family happiness outside in the perfect Easter weather. Pap and Gigi then brought lunch to our house on Easter Monday when they also dropped off Grey's dirtbike birthday surprise. So all of our kids are not outfitted in dirtbikes!

Getting a glimpse at our sweet baby girl. I had an ultrasound on Tuesday to check on her little calcium deposit (all is well!) and Brandon got to come, which was his first ultrasound for baby#6. Aunt Kitty watched the two little boys (thank you!) and big ones were at school while our school had an extra day of break, so we were both able to go and see that pouty mouth little darling. She is already 5lb 4oz at 33 weeks (oh gosh), head down, and doing just fine. My doc appt was on Thursday with Meg and we are looking good and just coasting (or should I say waddling, insomnia'ing, and heartburning) through these last few weeks! Almost there baby girl! 

Singing happy birthday to our biggest kid, Grey, who turned 11 on Thursday. I literally have no idea how 11 years have passed. He's holding off on a birthday party until it warms up a little bit so he and his buddies can go to fishing camp, so for now - it was singing at home, snack at school, and baseball themed donuts for after his baseball game on Thursday night. 

Having some truck trouble. Thursday night, it just wouldn't start. So B threw Grey and Gem in Sheila and the meatballs, Red, and I stayed home from Grey's game since we were down to one vehicle (actually not a bad thing considering the weather temp had dropped way down, the wind picked up, and the game went to extra innings meaning they didn't get home until nearly 10:30p!) That also make Friday a little tricky, but our neighbor Roxanne let me carpool to work with her (thank you!) and by Saturday we had tried everything (new key fob battery, new battery for the engine) and were finally left to call  locksmith to just cut us a new key all together. and that's what worked

Sustaining a foot injury from a goat stampede on Saturday. Ugh, I know, it's ridiculous. I was feeling pretty pregnancy bad and took a walk down the driveway with Violet and the goats (who were free ranging) decided to follow us. So first, it was actually a goat parade! By the time we came back up the house, Bullet caught sight of us and made a herding attempt at the goats which sent them towards the pasture. Brandon called Bullet off of them and the goats started to walk back up towards Bullet (why?!) So Bullet took off again at them and they panicked and ran directly at Violet and I. I turned to protect her and the baby bump, but like a fool - I had flip flops on and Donut's hoof went right into my left foot under my toes. Puncture wound in the foot but at least I fell on my butt (belly is fine) and Violet didn't get hit by any goats. Brandon watched the whole thing in terror thinking I was being Mufasa'ed (!) B cleaned it out for me really well because of course my belly is too big and I can't even reach my own feet anymore (LOL) and we are watching it for infection closely because let's be real - what's more gross than a goat hoof covered in who knows what from the pasture.  

Getting  call on Saturday afternoon that the boys daycare/preschool is closed for two weeks due to  positive case. I literally laughed because honestly, after the truck And my got stampede injury And this huge uncomfortable pregnant belly And with Brandon's fishing trip coming up next week- you have got to be kidding.

Sporting with the first baseball games of the season! Grey had two baseball practices and two games this week. They are currently 1-1, but had a great game (went into 9 innings!) on his birthday. He is playing short and pitcher this year and so happy to get to be on a team with all his best buds. We also heard from the kids' soccer coaches and it looks like practices will start up the week of April 19th - so we are about to kick it into high gear over here for the spring sports season! 

Teaching only three days this week thanks to spring break. Spanish 1 got pasatiempo vocab words and tried their hand at conjugated regular AR verbs. Spanish 2 did some pre-reading learning for their next (and last!) novel El Ekeko. Spanish did the same with some pre-reading activities about the Dominican Republic to prepare for their next (and last!) novel Felipe Alou. Spanish 4 finished their novel, Bananas. The end of the year is so close - we are under 40 school days now and the kids are already showing signs of apathy (ugh oh), but we are pushing through! 

Making Burgers on the grill, hot dogs and buttered noodles (for the kids), and baked lunchmeat sandwiches (the kids' favorite!) Pap and Gigi brought lasagna for Easter Monday dinner and my Mom brought us pizza in the middle of the week (thank you!) Brandon and I had some great Green Chef meals this week including Truffle Risotto with rainbow carrots, Zucchini and Ricotta Flatbread with brussels sprout salad. Brussel sprout salad with walnuts, feta, and cranberries might just be my go-to summer meal, so so good and you all know how I have no chill when it comes to brussels sprout consumption.  We also had Sweet Potato Quinoa bowls which were filling and delightful! I did a lot of dessert making this week too. I was in charge of the cookie plate for Easter and I made carrot cake roll with cream cheese frosting, some cookies from our junior class fundraiser cookie tubs, carrot cake balls (leftover from the roll), and pretzel/rollo/egg bites). For Grey's birthday I made two pumpkin rolls (his bday request every year) and I added some baseball lines to 2 dozen white frosted donuts from Dunkins for the baseball team after their game on his birthday. 

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!