Around Here 48: 11/22-28

Friday, December 11, 2020

 A glimpse into the blissful chaos that is this moment right now in our home. 




















Intentional Outdoor Hours:  529+ hours (of 1000)
How many weeks can I claim that I'm too cold? But seriously, I am. and too tired. ughh. 

Reading Outlander by Diana Galbaldon and The Sun is Everywhere by Jandy Nelson (thank you to my student, Cheyenne for the borrow!)

Waiting on Covid test results from Saturday all the way until Tuesday night. Brandon and Gemma got tested after being exposed and also feeling a little crappy. We were hopeful that it was just fall weather stuff but with Redland, and Brandon's Mom, and teaching - there was no taking any chances. But that also meant quaranting until we had the news - so no school or work for Brandon and I on Monday and Tuesday and all 7 of us were home getting through virtual school and chores and working-from-home. Thankfully we got the call on Tuesday night that we were all clear!

Feeling a little nostalgic actually during our two days home while we waited on the Covid results. It reminded me of being hunkered down this spring, all of us together figuring out space and time and work and sharing all our meals and all the chores and all the everything. Is that who I am now? Nostalgic about lockdowns? hahaha, I think it is. Also we have so many kids that while everyone else thinks being stuck at home is boring, I'm all like - whaaaaaaaaat. It is a stinking party at our house every day, all day. Oh sheesh, I'm officially losing it. 

Laundry update: still an overwhelming disaster, BUT not folding the kids clothes and just sorting them into piles that they are responsible for putting in their drawers (unfolded) has lifted quite a burden. Baby steps, people. 

Celebrating Thanksgiving at home. small, simple, and kind of loving it.  We did get to see my Dad on Thanksgiving eve (also his birthday!) he stopped over so the kids could give him their homemade cards and sing to him. Then my mom and sister Kitty came over on Thanksgiving morning for a little while to drop off potatoes (thank you!) and watch the parade and snuggle. Pappy had Thankgiving dinner with us and honestly, it was kind of blissful to be at our own house all day where Red could nap if he needed and the kids could wreck the place and I wasn't feeling worried about their noise or energy, and we all wore comfy clothes. It was a huge effort to cook and clean up, but then we were jammied and watching National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation by 6:30p. Kind of wonderful actually. (although I missed all of our extended family obviously! Love you all. So nice to Zoom for a little while with Aunt Lisa, Uncle Matt and cousin Kara who lives in Vermont!)

Thanksgiving Menu: 21 lb turkey! (we did a dry brine the night before which is basically just salting the heck out of it and then like a cup of butter rubbed all over the next morning. Blast at 400 degrees for 45 minutes then bake for 4 hours and 15 minutes at 300. It was so juicy and delicious!), mashed potatoes and sweet potatoes delivered from Abba & Chum (thank you!), stuffing (some in the bird and some cooked in a casserole dish), steamed corn and creamy corn with jalapeƱos (my favorite part of the meal!), homemade rolls (my first time!), green bean casserole, homemade pumpkin roll, and pecan cookies with maple frosting (so yummy!)

Dealing with 'ole cranky pants Redland as his third tooth in two weeks come in. Good grief, sleep -where are you? I miss you so. 

Kissing Brandon and Grey goodbye for the weekend since it is the opening of rifle season here in PA and if you know rifle season that means full day hunting. They spent the day in the woods on Friday kicking up spots, then all day on Saturday (leave before dawn, return after dark). I really don't mind hunting and fishing as long as I know the timeframe - that's why rifle season is easy: I KNOW I will not see them all day, so I can plan accordingly. Cousins Ray and Reid drove in to spend opening weekend with the boys, and they stayed at our house which brought so much joy to B and Grey. The little kids love cousin Reid too because he humors them and all their little questions and requests. 

Winter sporting = all cancelled for now and honestly that's totally fine with us. too cold, too tired, too much holiday'ing to do anyway.

Teaching two days through Schoology (sub in school), and one day in person after the covid tests came back negative. I was so grateful to get one day in school right before the break since we are going virtual again next week. I was able to pass out papers, collect hard copies, and make sure everyone was clear on expectations for attendance and participation while virtual. 

Making cinnamon rolls from scratch on Tuesday morning for brunch. Fried rice with vegetables, firecracker chicken over rice (SO GOOD!), and meatball sandwiches. I used some leftover turkey for turkey pot pie and I used leftover cranberry sauce to make cranberry bars for dessert. 

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!