first day of school

Thursday, August 25, 2016

Greyson and I both had our first day of the new school year this week.


Our first day of school was the same day, so I got up extra early and set out all of his stuff and left him a love note and repeated to Brandon a hundred times, "and take like a lot of pictures.  Like there's no such thing as too many pictures, please." After I told him I was feeling really bad about missing him on the bus, he reassured me, "Babe, it's not his first day ever, everything's going to be fine." And with eyes brimming with tears I said, "I know, but to the Mum......nope, can't talk about it with bawling.  So just give him a kiss from me.  Like twenty kisses."  Then I hightailed it out of there to my own first day.

My first day went really well.  I have three sections of Spanish I (ninth graders) and they have all been mostly engaged and excited about learning a foreign language for the first time ever (many of them).  It's been fun to get to know 'my kids' and see what kinds of activities work for each class and for each skill.  I feel so comfortable in the classroom, it's been incredible to be back creating lesson plans and finding ways to pour my passion for language and learning (in general) into my students' brains.


I'm so grateful that our family & friends have pulled together for us too, as we figure out transitions for my own actual kids.  (I've been more worried about what's happening at home - my full time job! - than starting this new part time teaching job!) Our family and friends have been so supportive and excited for me, texting and calling asking questions, checking in and sending 'good lucks!'  - thank you!!  especially to Abba, Chum, Gigi, Pappy, Kitty, Uch, Kuma, Morgan, Aunt Dar and double especially to my handsome husband who has been incredible and flexible and encouraging in this change of pace for our family.  

Since my school day is only a half day, I was able to be there, with our three littles, to get Grey off the bus at the end of the school day - and he came bounding down the steps with a big smile.


I was relieved and thrilled to learn that Grey loves first grade, so much so that he even exclaimed, "First grade is Awesome!" after telling me about getting to do a science experiment today..."and I put the blue potion in the green potion and it exploded!"  He was so glad to see that his running back from flag football rides his bus and the two of them sit together and laugh the whole way to and from school.  His best friend is in his class and his teacher is "so nice" and he has two Gym specials this first nine weeks.  It's basically five star days, every school day!

I read this week on Enjoying the Small Things a great quote that is the literal definition for how I feel about teachers and school and my baby and all the feels.
"Still every bit as emotional and consuming because how the hell else is it supposed to feel when you look at a teacher you only kinda know and pass off your beloved child with a, “Oh hey, here’s a cooler with my heart on ice. Keep it beating for the next seven hours and then seven hours again tomorrow and then maybe another 180 days after that.”  -Kelle Hampton


A shout-out and enormous thank you to all those educators out there keeping the 'coolers with our hearts on ice' safe and learning new things and trying their bests.  Gosh, you teachers and administrators and coaches and secretaries, and guidance counselors, and school nurses, and cafeteria workers, and janitorial staff, and bus drivers who help our kids in some small way each day of the school year - I am so very thankful for you.

I think this school year is getting off to a great start and I'm excited to see how Grey and I both learn and grow.  Happy new school year, friends. xxoxx



1 comment:

  1. Cue all the tears. That quote. The smile. The joy and the pain. It's all so confusing for my heart & brain!

    ReplyDelete