Around Here Week 16: 04/16-22

Wednesday, May 17, 2023

 A glimpse into what it is like to live in our home just this moment. 





photo cred: Erin S






























Intentional Outdoor Hours: 82+ hours (of 1000)
Gushing over the beautiful spring blossoms. It is honestly so pretty outside our windows with all the blooming trees I just want to cry happy tears all day long. Eeeeeee; nature is so beautiful and I am a big nerd for it. We had a fire outside one night this week and have been racking up hours after school and at the sports fields because it is just lovely. It's still kind of early for these kinds of summer vibes - but dare I say (to no one's surprise AT ALL) that I am ready for this weather and there's no going back now without breaking my heart a little bit. 

Reading There Will Be Lies by Nick Lake (borrow from my student Kaylee). It's kind of taking a lot of wild, unexpected turns - looking forward to seeing where this is going to end up. 

Dropping some kids off at Greenhouse Park with Chum & Abba - first visit for the spring/summer season. While we dropped off Grey at baseball, the rest of the crew picnicked there with my sisters and their cousins. So much better than being dragged to another field for a sibling practice!

Trying to motivate my students in the last few weeks by hanging up the last units/novels that we need to accomplish to close out the year. We are crossing them off as we get through them. I also hung up a paper chain because I am that extra (lol). 

Meds for Red...again. Ugh, our sickest kid thanks to a combination of finger sucking and also (I believe) being a c-section baby. I did some research about it this week because I cannot understand how Red is always the sickest of us - by a longshot. And there are some studies that claim that on that last journey out through the birth canal, kids get essentially coated in sickness barrier slime (okay, my words - but you get the idea) and c-section kids who don't make that journey tend to experience more sickness, allergies, general lower immunity style living as they grow up. Makes sense to me and at this point I'm grasping for straws because all this sickness in my Bubie is making my crazy. 

Printing & highlighting our kids' games/concert schedules for April-June to hand out to parents and aunts/uncles. It is going to be a wild ride to get through spring sports season and the end of the school year - but we are able to do it because of our friends, family, and sports 'families.' thank you to all of you who are encouraging and smiling faces in the crowd, or rides to and from games/practices, or who share snacks, drinks, blankets, and toys with all our kids. Friends/family who send me pictures and videos from games that I can't be at while we conquer and divide on game and practice nights or who update Gamechanger (thank goodness for Gamechanger app!) 

New plant babies from my co-worker Zach. His spider plant went crazy in the window and he called this week and told me I was the proud new mother of two little spider plant babies! 

Checking off prom tasks! Crowns for prom royalty are ordered, sent a pdf to our vendor with all our colors/fonts/design options on it, and we selected our promposal winner! Congrats to Molly & Max!

Test review and signing off on exemption for the state tests for the two biggest kids. 'Tis the season!

Taking Violet's soccer cleats to school and grateful to our FCS teacher who agreed to sew her velcro back on after Osa chewed it up in the night. Ugh, puppy teeth probs! 

Thankful that our friends are so generous and kind when I text them "Looking for somewhere to dump my kids on early dismissal day" LOL, our people get us. We were so thankful the Mocks took our girls off the bus this time and the girls loved spending the afternoon (and into the evening!) with the Mock sisters - best day ever :)

Snagging a gobbler! So happy for Grey that he harvested his first turkey on youth gobbler day on Saturday. He went with Brandon and Uncle Jonny and he was so proud and thankful. Violet spent part of the morning out with Pappy, looking for turkeys. They heard one but it never came close - so they got to visit with Uncle Dave, Aunt Cindy, and their horses which was a perfect consolation for Violet! 

Teaching Los Castells de Tarragona in Spanish 1 which includes our tower building competition. The kids always love this introduction to a very cool competition in Spain, so engagement is high even despite the nearness of the end of the year (big win!) Spanish 2 watched one of my favorite movies of all my levels - Under the Same Moon. Spanish 3/4 read chapters 2 & 3 of Felipe Alou and had their vocab test. On Friday, we had the annual junior vs. senior powderpuff game and picnic lunch. It was the perfect sunny day for it and the senior coaches (football players) dressed up for their role (stuffed polo shirts, fake mustaches, visors, and aviators! (Senior girls won the game, but it was a close one!) 

Sporting with Brandon's championship game for his old man basketball league on Sunday night! They went 1-1 and now they play the final game next Sunday! Rusty had a baseball practice this week and Violet had her first Sparks soccer game on Sunday plus one Sparks practice and one AYSO practice. Gem had AYSO practice and soccer photos on Saturday while Grey had pony league baseball practice and 2 Jr High baseball games and one Jr High practice. And finally, B held football weightlifting four nights this week.

Making sheet pan kielbasa and veggies, cream cheese chicken taquitos, crockpot pork roast, meatball sammies, tilapia fish tacos (so yum!), and Pappy's marinated deer meat. Chum made us ham pot pie, and we ordered in pizza one night too. 

1 comment:

  1. Girl! Love all these pictures and hearing about your life. The absolute chaos of spring sports has no comparison. We had three boys on three baseball teams, plus Carly in gymnastics and I am so ready for it to be done. (Two more weeks! Woot woot!)
    All your nature photos have me channeling my inner Anne of Green Gables and I found myself muttering, "Amen" when you said it would break your heart if the weather decided to go back to yucky and cold. Same, sister.
    Love the pic of the littles with your guinea pigs. How ADORABLE are your littlest munchkins?! I cannot. And I am so sorry about Reddy being sick all the time. I am fascinated by the idea that c-section babes are sick more often. All mine were c-sections, and it makes me think maybe we ARE sick more than the average family. It always feels that way, but maybe there's really something to that.
    Anyway, sending love and support from across the country to get you through the final spring push of school.
    I am ready for summer!!!!

    ReplyDelete