Around Here Week 37: 09/11-17

Monday, October 3, 2022

 A glimpse into what it is like to live in our home just this moment. 


photo & edit cred: Deanna Maurer (thank you!)









photo cred: Mrs. McCall









photo cred: Becky Conn







Intentional Outdoor Hours:  669+ hours (of 1000)
Still feels like late summer most days, so right after we all get home from school we head outside to the back porch. We snag plenty of time at the various fields though for practices and games too, so my count continues to creep up even though the speed of life during the school year goes supersonic mode. 

Reading The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo by Taylor Jenkins Reid another borrow from my student Mya - I am so grateful we are doing our mini book club together! 

Overwhelmed with happiness and relief to have Miss Emma with our babies. It was her first week and by Friday, all the babies were hugging her goodbye and barely even whimpering at morning goodbyes. She is so sweet and thoughtful...gosh, I am just so glad to have her in our daily lives. (we love you Miss Emma!!)

Getting a little extra time in with Gem who was sick on Monday. She played hookie at daddy's office (just kidding, she really was sick) but she came down to my classroom for lunch. Which finally reminded me to take a picture with cousin Gracie who I have in 10th period (right after lunch). I am so happy to get to be Grace's teacher this year - honestly, she is a bright spot in my afternoon everyday and I love seeing her every day. Plus, she's awesome at Spanish and such a good and kind student. (love you Gracie girl!) 

Checking in with our financial advisor. Ugh, grown up life - but our advisor is honestly the best and we love him and trust his input. Let me know if you are in need of one because Dave is the real deal and I'll be glad to share his info. 

Clapping for our young chickens who started laying eggs this week!

Thanking our next door neighbor who is also our kids' school resource officer, Mr. Mike for being a first responder on Sept. 11th. We put together a little video for him on Sunday night and sent it over to honor the day and all the heroes and first responders who run towards danger as everyone else runs away. thank you, first responders, everyday. 

Wishing the happiest congratulations to Heather who finished college this week! So proud of you!!

Attending elementary school open house on Thursday night. Even though I've been to plenty of them at this point (my sixth now!) I still appreciate going to see the classrooms and all the kids' artwork displayed. It's always nice to see how things have remained the same through the grades and how much has changed too through each kid. I'm a sucker for all things teacher and school and artwork and hallways and community spirit - so ya know I'm there even if I'm running on empty. 

Finally grocery shopping a big trip so we have fresh produce in the house for a least a few days (LOL). I have the next two weeks all planned out and what a weight off my brain, but also it's such an exhausting task. 

Shipping kids off to sleepovers. Grey had a sleepover at the Conns house with his buddies after the football game on Friday night. (thank you!) Rusty and Violet went to the Altoona Curve baseball game with my parents and then slept over Abba and Chum's house that night too (thank you!) 

Teaching Spanish 1 about gustar and they took their first vocab quiz this week. Spanish 2 flipped perspective in writing and then did a free write to summarize the El Cucuy story we listened to - 75 words in Spanish (so proud!) Spanish 3/4 took their vocab quiz and wrote their class story for somos Unit 17. Meanwhile, the teachers are making preparations for our annual Homecoming pep rally show. The Hoco theme this year is circus and we have some pretty incredible plans and ideas we were working on during our early out day. My Spanish Club kids are busy prepping and planning for our float in the parade and the pre and post party we are throwing at the football game. 

Sporting with two flag football practices for Violet, two cheer practices for Gemma, and three football practices for Grey. Violet played in two games this week (Saturday v Portage and Sunday v CV). She is really getting comfortable on the field as a little cannonball at running back and pulling flags on defense as a linebacker. She loves playing and really loves her teammates. I'm so grateful to our friend and fellow football mom, Deanna, for snagging awesome pictures and videos of our Violet-girl in beastmode on the field (thank you!) Gem cheered for two games too this week and she is having such a great time with her cheer squad and especially her stunt group. I love those girls so much and I'm so proud to see how far they've come since first grade (!) Grey had an away game this week that I couldn't make it to, but B was there and they ended up in a tie. The youth cheerleaders cheered at the Friday night home game where I chaperoned while also volunteering for the varsity football boosters selling programs with the jr high cheerleaders (great job Lily and Dani!) B worked the offensive headset in the pressbox during the game while the babies and I made it to halftime and then went home to put on jammies and go to bed! 

Making chicken parm over noodles, shrimp and kielbasa paella, taco pasta, cowboy casserole with tater tots, crockpot spaghetti, buffalo chicken dip, frozen pizza, and walking tacos delivered by Heather (thank you!!) 

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!