Home Pre-K Week 2

Tuesday, September 7, 2021

We had another good week of homeschool pre-k. Rusty was excited to incorporate "gym" class - hahha, we just played soccer outside while the babies were napping and he thought it was the best ever. 

I made my first ever homemade playdoh. Here's the thing - I actually hate playdoh and never buy it because the kids always leave it out and it dries up and also it gets everywhere (in carpets, on couches). But I saw some cool smash mat activities and found a really easy homemade recipe - so I went for it! It was super easy to make and I even added in the cinnamon so it smelled like apple pie! It was taken care of and used lovingly for three days....guess where it was by Saturday - IN THE GARBAGE. First, Rust decided to re-color it with massive amounts of green food coloring on the porch, then he and Violet played with it all over the house leaving tiny balls of play doh in their wakes, and finally I found it laying out on his dresser with brush holes from him stabbing it repeatedly with the girls' hair brush. So yeah, buhbye. 

Oh, the joys of little kids and little problems. 

Unit: Autumn
Lesson: Apple Pie & Johnny Appleseed


Books we read:
The Biggest Apple Ever by Steven Kroll
The Pie that Papa Baked by Lauren Thompson
Life Cycle of the Apple (foldable book)
Johnny Appleseed (mini book to color)

Watched:
Disney's American Legends Johnny Appleseed short

Memory Verse
Don't say goodbye before a bite of apple pie.  

Language Arts:
Recognizing the Letter Aa playdoh smash mat
Story sequencing with pictures for the story The Pie that Papa Baked

Math:
Shortest to Tallest Johnny Appleseed
Sequencing numbers (by matching) apple pie puzzle
Counting and recognizing numbers 1-6
Patterns worksheet 
Color by Number Johnny Appleseed

Handwriting:
2 pgs of the Good & Beautiful Doodle Part 2 workbook

Art:
Apple mosaics 

Physics:
Rolling apples down an incline to race 
Wearing a pot for a hat (like Johnny Appleseed - it was heavy!)

Physical Play:
Playing with homemade playdoh
Making rolled "apples" out of playdough to add to a smash mat tree 

1 comment:

  1. I love these prek plans! Reminds me so much of the things I used to do with my two oldest...and then I blinked and they're in high/middle school! I miss that simple time with them.
    Also: we're kindred spirits regarding playdoh - I have the best intentions but little patience for all that crumbly mess, ha! xoxo

    ReplyDelete