Around Here Week 34: 08/22-28

Tuesday, September 14, 2021

 A glimpse into what it is like to live in our home just this moment. 





















Intentional Outdoor Hours: 415+ hours (of 1000)
Up over 23 hours this week and 14 of those hours were earned at the football field on two games days where we have a kid in all three levels (flag, minors, and majors!) And we attended the Varsity game too - we be cray about football in the Studer house. 

Reading The House in the Cerulean Sea by TJ Klune

Stopping by the Somerset County fair with Gemma and Red to visit Gemma's friend's pig! We got to visit with Molly and her pig and then Red got to ride two little rides and pull a duck from the game to win a little prize. Basically he thought the fair was the coolest ever - which was good prep for him since we'll be going to the Cambria County fair next week with our family like is our fall tradition! 

Visiting Baby Wells with the kids! They were so excited to see their first ever first cousin!! They were all cracking up about how giant Olive seems now, but they were basically pros holding Wells and talking to him. Grey has done this five times already in his life of 11 years! hah! 

Starting the school year! We took our standard first day of school photos with the kids life aspirations for this very moment: Grey in 6th grade (pro-fisherman), Gemma to 4th grade (photographer), Violet to 1st grade (zookeeper), and Rusty to homeschool pre-k (alligator wrestler). We are adjusting to the new schedule in which Grey leaves an hour earlier than the elementary kids but lucky for him (and me since our bus stop is driving distance away), my dear friend/high school teacher/mom to my son's bestie Loni has been picking Grey up and bringing him home. (thank you!!) The girls were happy to see our best bus driver ever: Rob! And everyone had a good first (half) week - even Rusty and I at homeschool pre-k where we did lessons with an apple focus, heavily based off the 5 Senses Learning Literature. 

Updating my planner. After a lot of researching, I made some inserts that I'm hoping will help keep me organized in my reprised role as a SAHM. Each day of the week has a zone of the house for focused cleaning, a 3 objective list for our homeschool pre-k focus, and then two personal goals for the day. I'm hoping that it will help keep the days/weeks on track and organized enough that I don't get too overwhelmed. 

Celebrating my birthday! My birthday stresses me out - not because of the getting older thing - but more like please everyone stop making a big deal of it kind of thing. hah. So we keep it pretty lowkey. My parents stopped over with ice cream cake (thank you!), my cousin Tausha surprised me with sushi for dinner (thank you!!), my cousin Heather snail mailed me my favorite snack (thank you!!) and my sister Kitty met us at Silver Bell for ice cream where we were trapped under their awning for 10 minutes in a severe thunderstorm! hahaha! Thanks to everyone for the beautiful messages and calls and surprises. It was a perfect day, but in no way compares to the beautiful life that I get to enjoy every day of the year with people who always bring me joy, and grace, and patience, and encouragement. I am grateful for this life - which really came from my own momma's hard work on my birthday 38 years ago! (thank you mumma). 

Reflecting on the understanding that the start of the school year means super sonic speed. The first day of school is always the starkest reminder that #daysarelongyearsareshort and the school year in bounds through the seasons. It's football/cheer, basketball season, then baseball/soccer and then summer already with kids a whole year older again. It really does seem to move into warp speed and looking between my Olive and my Booboo has me feeling very dizzy...because how did that happen? Grey was just this tiny baby and he's off to middle school....does that mean it will be another few blinks and my Olive will be that big too? and if that's true, I will have kids not even living in my house anymore because they're so grown. Time!! What is your beef with moms....for real?! 

Sporting with practices during the week for football and cheerleading. Then we had TWO 7 hour days at the football fields. On Sunday we played Shade at our home field. The following Saturday, we played at Meyersdale. Full days at the football field with 6 kids (2 of which are under 2) takes some effort - so we pack up our tent, a canopy, and the football bag (books, toys, so many snacks and drinks), the stroller, and the carrier to get through it. The babies have been pretty good troopers though and we are always surrounded by friends, family, or the big kids' teammates to help occupy everyone. So far, we have three undefeated teams after two game days! 

Making white chicken chili over rice, pot roast in the slow cooker with potatoes and carrots, chicken supreme casserole (with ritz cracker topping-yum!), meatloaf, and buffalo chicken mac & cheese. I also made our last day of summer breakfast muffins (fruity pebble muffins!) and I whipped up a batch of pumpkin chocolate chip cookies that generally last about 3 hours in our house. Plus, two batches of peanut butter power balls to take to the football games. 

1 comment: