Home Pre-K: Week 6

Monday, October 4, 2021

We moved into a new unit this week: spooky! First up was learning about bats and Rusty's favorite activity by far was clinging on to me as long as he could like a baby bat while I ran around flapping my arms like a momma bat (thanks Stellaluna read aloud). There was plenty to check out on free teachers pay teachers that involved bats and it the topic was an easy introduction to nocturnal animals.  Plus, we got to watch one of my favorite online science teachers: Mystery Doug! 

When Gem was in kindergarten and struggling with learning to read, I bought a bunch of leveled readers to try to have learning materials here at home that could support her. They have now been loved by Violet and Rusty too. If you don't know about leveled readers, they can be really supportive if you have a kid who is struggling and needs extra practice at their 'just right reading level' or a little below it for some big time success confidence boosting reading at home. Level A would be the first level (Sentence with 2-4 words, very repetitious) and they go all the way up through the alphabet. We have lots of leveled readers up through about Level F (I have a serious book buying addiction that my husband tolerates but gives me a lot of side eye about). Our kids all really love these Science Guided Readers

Homeschool pre-k some days looks like little kids on my lap, grabbing all the tools, and marking up whatever they can and making a lot of noise. Rust and I get through it, but somedays are tougher than others. We make it work though and Rust has been such a good big brother (always) and finds a way to share or wait or make do. I am so lucky to get to be his momma (and teacher!) 

Unit: Spooky
Lesson: Bats

Books we read:
There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Fly by Lucille Colandro
StellaLuna by Janell Cannon
Bat Facts from the Illustrated Guided Science Reader collection - this one is Level A
What Comes at Night from the Level A First Little Readers Set

Memory Verse
Bat, bat
Come under my hat
When I bake
I'll give you a cake
And I bet
You can be my pet

Watched:
Mystery Doug: Do bats drink blood? 

Language Arts:
Story sequencing for There Was an Old Lady.
practicing rhyming words (-at word family)
"Reading" Level A readers pointing to each word 
Recognizing and highlighting the letter B

Math:
Recognizing shapes
Number recognition 0-5

Speech/Listening:
Using directional words to describe the location of a bat
("the bat is in between the witch and the ghost, but closer to the ghost")

Handwriting:
1 page of handwriting

Science:
Bat themed rocket launcher (using straw to blow)
Learning about nocturnal animals
Discussing the difference between birds and bats

Art
Bat & Moon silhouette painting 
Drawing a bat using step-by-step instructions

Physical Play:
Hanging like a baby bat from mom
Hanging upside down from the chin up bars

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!