November Kindness: 2nd Annual CV Alumni Turkey Bowl

Saturday, December 11, 2010

To the participants of the CV Alumni Turkey Bowl 2010,

Even though I don't live in Johnstown anymore, I still feel a strong connection to our community. I used to think that maybe it’s because our family still lives there or because you really just can’t get a snack as delicious as a sundowner at 2am anywhere outside of Jtown. But the truth is, there is something special about the people that come from our town; something that you can depend on.
So, for the second year in a row, my husband and I organized the Conemaugh Valley Alumni Turkey Bowl. We had double the number of participants this year, ordered all the t-shirts, coordinated the plans with the school, and printed all the programs. So, when Thanksgiving morning arrived and we looked outside, you can imagine my heartbreak. In a last ditch effort, I changed my facebook status to “the CV Turkey Bowl is on - no matter Rain or Shine,” and we made our way over to the field, sick in the stomach. After all that planning, who in their right mind would show up on Thanksgiving morning in this weather?




And then we pulled into the parking lot and to our extreme gratitude; we saw YOU…by the start of the game, there was 38 of YOU to be exact. That's not even including the volunteers who trekked through the weather just to help out OR the fans who showed up with umbrellas and ponchos just to cheer on the participants! Alumni from the graduating classes from 1977 to 2010 participated as either a player, a cheerleader, or a volunteer in the freezing, cold rain and mud. Maybe it’s been my time living away from our community, but I truly didn’t expect anyone to show up that morning. Thank you for reminding me why I am so proud of my hometown and my community; there is the solid truth that we can rely on each other. ..Even if it is 10am on a holiday and I’m asking you to play football in the freezing rain in old sweatpants and boots. There YOU were high-fiving and shivering with mud on your clothes and a smile on your face. I was thankful this Thanksgiving because of you.



No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!