Gemma Rose, 7 years old.

Thursday, March 7, 2019

My Gemmi Ro,
you are seven.
seven years already of your kind and generous heart.
seven years of your silly, bubbling giggle.
seven years of twirling, fluttering, and tumbling.


it always feels as though we exist in a fairy tale story book when you're around, Gem. There's a little extra sparkle, a heap of theatrics, the lines between good and evil always clearly defined, regular breakouts of music and dancing, and almost always a happily ever after.

You are no damsel in distress though, my girl, you are almost always the hero in the story. I will spend my whole life trying to get you to understand that you need to secure your own oxygen mask before assisting others. It is often that I have to tell you, "Gem, you're trying to help too much now, honey." You are generous with your time, service, and kindness to a fault. The thought of anyone being offended by you makes you feel anxious. When your Dad and I have to drive separately somewhere, you worry yourself crazy deciding who to ride with because you don't want to hurt one of our feelings. Sleepovers at your friends' houses make you so happy but then you worry about how much Daddy and I will miss you. You told us over dinner the other night as just a side comment, "When one of my classmates break or lose their crayon, I let them have mine.....actually, I barely have any crayons left in my box in my desk because I've given so many away!" Dad and I just looked at each other and shook our heads. Roie, you need to take care of you too, baby.

 
You took it easy this year in sports because you told us that sometimes it gets too busy with everything we do. (boy, do we ever need that reminder regularly Gemma, thank you!) So you cheered for football season (me and Uch were your coaches!) and you signed up for AYSO soccer. No competitive cheer or indoor soccer because you wanted time to "play and be with my family."

Most of your friends are still all older than you by years/grades. Regularly, people are shocked to learn that you are only in first grade - both because of your height and your maturity. Dad and I forget constantly that you are only just now seven and we are always trying to remind ourselves that you are still just a little girl (even though you seriously might as well be 12 in the way we trust you and how you handle responsibilities).

You are less of a frilly, sparkly girl this year. You prefer leggings and a sports tshirt to dresses. You like your hair just in a ponytail and you are desperate for it to grow back again (after we got several inches cut off earlier last year). You still love hugs and dancing and snuggling but you ask for it less now and that's bittersweet; less neediness, but also stop growing up please. You love stories, especially about when you were little and when Dad and I were young and dating. You are always so eager to make sure that we know how much you love us. You say things like (when eating at a restaurant) "This is such good food - but not as good as yours mom!" or "That boy is so handsome! But not as handsome as Dad!"

You and Grey are either best best bestest best friends- not leaving each others' sides laughing maniacally at the weirdest jokes ever - or ready to choke each other and nitpicking everything the other one is saying. You and Violet play 'girlfriends' together with babies and purses, you whisper and giggle in the dark past bedtime, and you even started sharing your clothes with her (!). You two make my sister heart explode with your little tender moments that I only have the privilege to watch from the outside - but I know the power and love that is held in that hug of sisterhood. You baby Rusty probably the worst of all of us and he knows it. He calls you "my gemma" sometimes and girl, well, good luck with that. His curls and hugs around the neck and sweet smile can make you crumble into a pile of mush. You literally would do anything for him and I have to tell you all the time, "Gem, he's never going to learn if you keep doing everything for him!"


Your favorite movies are all 'kissing movies' like A Cinderella Story, Another Cinderella Story (lol), and most recently, To All the Boys I've Loved Before. You have fallen head over heels for musicals this year including Mamma Mia, The Greatest Showman, and Hairspray (big time crush on Link, but Gem, you are not alone in girls who have had their first major celebrity crush on Zac Efron!) You like watching baking/cooking shows on youtube and still ask to help anytime I'm in the kitchen. 

You are an independent little thing and the absolute most helpful child in our house. You are nearly completely self sufficient (hah!) and can even get almost everyone else ready too. You make us cups of tea (in the microwave), you get snacks and drinks for your siblings, you can empty and load the dishwasher, and you're the only kid not afraid to go into the basement by yourself to get something from the freezer for us. You can change diapers, clean a bathroom, and almost (so close!) learned to iron this year - but because you were trying to be too helpful (this is a theme of yours) you accidentally burned yourself when putting more water in it while it was still hot when I stepped out of the room. 


Grey told a silly joke the other day, "what did the snake say to the mailman?" (ssssss) which had us all giggling. And then Violet jumped in on the joke and asked "what did the pig say to the mailman?" (oink oink) and then you tried, "What did the turtle say to the mailman? ....(can I help you?") ....this is so typical of the kind of stuff you say, Gem, that leaves us all wondering -what in the actual hell are you talking about? while you sit there and just laugh at yourself. Being able to laugh at your silly, unique self, Roe, that is an invaluable skill - so hold on to it, my darling. Let your freak flag fly, girl - it's bold and bright and beautiful!

You still love playing school at home; you are always trying to enlist the babies in being your students while you sing strange little chants to them about keeping their hands to themselves and their mouths closed while walking in the halls (hahha, makes me laugh every time). I hear your teachers' voices and phrases parroted out of your mouth as you do your pretend read alouds and give instructions. I am so grateful that you have had amazing teachers that inspire you.

You are still working hard in school and math seems to come naturally to you. You have made progress in reading this year and you are so determined to get there. You still have a way to go until reading becomes more natural to you, but goodness girl - when you get a handle on this reading thing, you are going to soar. I can't wait to see you unfurl those beautiful wings and leap into uncharted land of learning and characters and new worlds. Oh Gemmi, how much you are going to adore reading.  I can't wait to do it together and the chats we will have and the worlds we can explore together through books. You are going to love it so much and I can't wait to watch how your dedication and persistence in trying finally pays off and you unlock that incredible padlock to the whole wide world.


Gemmi, 
I am so lucky to get to be your momma.
to watch you and be inspired regularly about patience and generosity
I am so proud of the girl you are
and humbled to even think of the girl you are going to continue to be
I hope to be a little more like you everyday.
Gemmi girl, you are something else.
I love you forever and ever
and ever for all the days
even when you're way taller than me
and changing the whole wide world
my roie, I will love you.
momma


No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!