Around Here Week 11: 03/10-03/16

Monday, March 18, 2019

A glimpse into what it is like to live in our home just this minute.


















Intentional Outdoor Hours: 19+ hours  (of 1000)
Up 6 hours this week because Fake Spring has arrived (I hope she has aspirations to be real spring though, because sheesh are we ever ready!) We picked up and reassembled the trampoline after a winter of being flipped and frozen over (lol), we climbed trees, we took walks with the beautiful sunset as the backdrop, we pulled out and dusted off bikes,I broomed out the garage, Grey made and obsessively checked his dead fall trap in the woods, we built a few fires, and even grilled out one night. Our chickens are thrilled to be free range again and have been producing like maniacs, I even started a little side hustle selling dozens of eggs to my teacher coworkers (hahah, thank you for buying from us!)

Reading (and finishing in three days) a book I borrowed from one of my students (thank you, Abi!) This is not the End by Chandler Baker. I really enjoyed the book and story, very interesting, clever, and unique. Still also reading There's No Such Things as Bad Weather by Linda Akeson McGurk and just started The Care and Feeding of Ravenously Hungry Girls by Anissa Gray because our next book club meeting is scheduled for later this month!

Smiling at the chickens because they are so much like pet puppies. As soon as they see anyone come outside, they all come running up with real joy in their little steps. They follow us all around the yard, they even came back the path to the 'tunnel' where the pine trees are that the kids climb between our house and neighbors. These girls! I just love them so much!

Admiring my beautiful Spanish word wall thanks to my March surprise from my classroom fairy godmother Ashley from Big White Farmhouse. This month's surprise included adhesive magnets which my teachers' assistants got right to work laminating and hanging them up. My room looks so full and the kids are using it while working on their free writes - gah, I love this nerd teacher life.  Ashley also sent my students and I tissues and pencils (are two biggest needs all year long), and a fun card game called Locos Ochos which I can't wait to try out with my Spanish Club!  (mucho mucho muchisimo gracias Ashley - por siempre)

Celebrating Pi day at school with a pep rally in which students got to buy chances to pie a teacher in the face. I was lucky and got one of my freshman students (hi, Damien!) who chose me to pie in the face. He was nice about it and didn't smash it in my face (or up my nose- hah!) Damien is also an incredible artist and gifted to me a beautiful watercolor/drawing this week that warmed my heart so much (it's above with the most touching message). #lovemyjob #lovemykids

Asking my students to finish the sentence prompt, "I wish my teacher knew..." as I did last year. It is such a meaningful activity and always gives me a unique perspective into the students' lives. The rules are that they don't have to sign them (they can remain anonymous), they can write in English, Spanish, or drawing (hah), and they can write as much or as little as they want - they just have to finish the sentence. I always get such a variety of responses; some very sweet and kind to me, some that help me see into the worries and stresses of their everyday lives, some that are not so kind to me/my class. And then I give them a letter I write each year that starts with the sentence, "I wish my students knew..." (and to paraphrase) how much I believe in them and how lucky I am to get to be their teacher.

Ending an era in our life with an open mind and heart. The universe gives signs and signals and opens windows even when it can initially feel like a door closes. Thank you to everyone who helped us survive and thrive through six years of CV basketball seasons for Coach Daddy. Those ides of March sure can surprise you!

Volunteering at our church's fish fry on Friday night. Grey and Gem came with me and while I (literally) ran around waiting tables - we were so packed! - they cleared tables and refilled drinks and helped me deliver orders. On Friday, after a full day of school, I get them from the bus and we rush to get to the fish fry as soon as possible. Grey said on the drive, 'Mum, can't we just go home?' and I told him, "I want to go home too, buddy. I'd love to go home and put on some comfy clothes and have a cup of tea and relax after working all day. But we have arms and legs that work and hearts that are kind and our church needs us to help - so we're going to hold it together for another 3 hours or so and help!" We hustled and bustled our booties off all evening and then afterward while we got to eat delicious fish fry food and rest our tired feet, Grey said, "Ya know, Mum, it does feel good to help." #yepitdoes

Setting up our leprechaun trap on Saturday night!

Teaching Somos Unit 5 to Spanish 1 including hilariously wacky class stories about un muchacho, su hermano malo y las 3 novias. Spanish 1 honors started Somos Unit 7 and htey finished incredible Shrinking summaries that had me beaming with pride at how far they have come this year in their language learning! Spanish 2 finished up learning about Los Castells de Taragona, EspaƱa and Spanish 2 Honors started Fiesta Fatal (their next novel) Chapters 1 and 2 and then we had a Billy la Bufanda binge watching marathon on Friday and watched all three Billy y Las Botas videos in a row (jajjajajaaja). Spanish 3 Honors started reading Robo en la Noche and I discovered a very cool new teaching tool that we are trying out throughout the novel called Pear Deck. We are learning how it works together as we move through the chapters, but it seems like a really fun and cool (and free!) tool - especially for reading our novel.

Making kielbasa and hot dogs on the grill (yum!!) with mac& cheese and baked beans (summer, can you hear us?). We also had creamy chicken chili over noodles, potato soup and 4 ingredient beer bread. I made some pumpkin roll and the kids and Brandon ate it all up in a matter of minutes. We had pizza pie to celebrate Pi day (hah).

2 comments:

  1. I've been so horrible about commenting lately, but love that you still do your weekly recaps and I read every one. Praying spring weather sticks around for both of us! XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  2. That note from your student! All the HEART eyes!!!
    You're amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete