On the day you were born, Gemma Rose...

Thursday, March 8, 2012

On the day you were born, Gemma Rose, I woke up early because I was too excited to sleep thinking about your arrival.  We were scheduled to have an induction since you were already 5 days overdue, but while I was aimlessly perusing Pinterest that morning at 5am, you decided that your birthday would be on your own terms, and you kicked my body into having contractions.

On the day you were born, Gemma Rose, Dad had to scrape ice off of the truck windows because he forgot to park it in the garage while I kissed Aunt Kitty goodbye since she had slept over.  I told her to give your big brother Greyson a kiss from me when he woke up that morning when we would already be at the hospital waiting for you.

On the day you were born, Gemma Rose, Dad held my hand while my whole body shook during transition and the nurse pushed back my hair and said, "Your children are lucky to have such a calm mother."  That was one of the nicest compliments anyone has ever given to me.  I hope someday you'll think that about me too.

On the day you were born, Gemma Rose, you barreled out of me so quickly that Dad got lightheaded and needed to sit down.  You surprised everyone with how fast you wanted to get out, after we had waited so long for you to be born.

On the day you were born, Gemma Rose, as soon as I saw your face I recognized you.  It was such a relief to have you here with us; like our family hadn't quite been whole before you were born but we had never realized it.


On the day you were born, Gemma Rose, I watched your Dad fall in love with another girl.  That girl was you.




On the day you were born, Gemma Rose, your brother Greyson came to meet you.  He had been our only child up until this day, so we didn't know how he would react to you.  When you cried, he cried too.  And when we asked him if you "could come live at our house" he said, "okay."  He was only 22 months, but somehow he loved you immediately; somehow he knew you were someone he is supposed to take care of.  Remember that your whole life, Gemma; your brother will always be there for you, just like he was on the day you were born.





On the day you were born, Gemma Rose, you should have seen the waiting room filled with the people that love you most.  You won't know until you have kids of your own, but there is almost no better feeling than knowing there are people in your life that will love and take care of your kids.  I wish I could tell you the exact number, but as a guess; the kisses you received that day must have been around eight thousand.
  

On the day you were born, Gemma Rose, your Godparents looked at you with so much love in their eyes.  Remember this Gemma, when you are too embarrassed to come talk to me, find them.  They will always give you a straight answer.


On the day you were born, Gemma Rose, Dad said, "She's so beautiful." And I said, "Do you think maybe she was an angel?"  and he said, "yes."




On the day you were born, Gemma Rose, you joined our team.  No matter what happens in life, we are family and we will love you through all of it.  forever, and ever and ever.

9 comments:

  1. I love this!!! It is so beautiful and full of so much love!! I am so happy for your even bigger family!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure what part was my favorite, but I think it was how she joined your team. I'm totally sitting here with tears in my eyes. Your children are enormously lucky! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a sweet, beautiful love letter to your sweet girl! I love, love how you say, "as soon as I saw your face I recognized you" and of GR's older brother, "Remember that your whole life, Gemma; your brother will always be there for you, just like he was on the day you were born" ... Absolutely sweet and honest and lovely. Thank you for sharing ... I am honored to get a peek into how other Mamas love their families - thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a beautiful post. All of it wonderful. She most certainly is loved and treasured. Congratulations and love to you all.
    My eldest was 23 months old when his little brother came. He looked just as cute and proud as your little Greyson.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for making me cry! :) Your children are so lucky to have you for a mom. That was so beautiful to read. You are an inspiration with all the love and kindess you offer to the world.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful love letter to your new daughter. Congratulations and may you and your family be blesses...you already are. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. A. I don't think you are supposed to look that good after giving birth
    B. NO! I didn't just cry here at my desk and have a student come in and ask me "Are you alright?!"
    C. I love you guys! So happy you are feeling better and are finally home.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful post!! I just can't wait to have that experience with our little David in less than 8 weeks :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! I love this!
    This is so crazy, I happened to stumble upon your blog tonight and as I started reading it caught me off guard... I'm holding my baby girl (4 weeks old).. And her name is Gemma Adabelle.... I rarely see the name Gemma and it's crazy that our daughters are so close in age.
    Like you, I call my Gemma, Gem. And like you, I've also got a son who just recently became a big brother! :)

    ReplyDelete