Around Here Week 50: 12/10-16

Sunday, December 31, 2023

 A glimpse into what it is like to be in our family just this moment. 


photo cred: B


photo cred: Mrs. Magistro









selfie cred: Kitty

photo cred: Kitty


photo cred: B





Intentional Outdoor Hours: 686+ hours (of 1000)
Ugh, literally nothing...but the sunrises have been incredible! 

Reading The Glass Hotel by Emily St. John Mandel. Jake and I had book club on Wednesday night at Harrigan's wine bar next to the glass windows (such a perfect location for the book setting!) and had delicious food and wine and talked, talked talked. We picked out the new book: Never Whistle in the Dark (an Indigenous Anthology) 

Pink eye update: Greyson's turn! only tinged pink and watery and then Miss Emma got hit with it too but she's a trooper like she's an official Studer (hah) and she powered through it (she is such a blessing to us!)

Marco the elf antics: hid in a wreath, covered up the tv in wrapping paper, tamed a dinosaur with a ribbon lasso, an Elf Planetarium with Marco's butt as Uranus! (which made our teen boy laugh so it's a win!), in a gingerbread costume in the tree (thanks to my student Emma who made the costume!), Spiderman (thanks to my student Shelby who made the mask), kissing Barbie under the mistletoe, and writing potty-themed Christmas tuned lyrics on the toilet paper in our bathroom. 

Shopping trip with Uch on Sunday afternoon. We headed out to Target for my first Christmas gift shopping adventure. I was thankful to spend the day with Uch and have her by my side as I suffer greatly from shopping fatigue (hah). I was able to pick up a bunch of things that make me feel a little more prepared for the season, but also a real quick realization that I have a long way to go before we get to done. (Thank you Uch for spending the day with me doing a task I dislike; you made it painless! xxox)

Getting my students to be my elves! Every year I am overwhelmed with gifts to wrap on Christmas eve but this year I have a secret plan of attack! I have students in my room pd3 (it's their learning period so they just want to hang out), so I have them working on wrapping gifts for me! They are having a blast and I am so relieved and it's really a match made in heaven. I'm going to have to get them a little thank you because my gifts look beautiful and they even stamped and sealed all my Christmas cards. You guys, teenagers are really the best - especially Emma and Shelby (thank you girls!)

Getting sick but trying fasting for quicker healing...and it worked! I started to get the runny nose/sore throat/head throbbing/cough sickness that's been going around. But I heard on the internet (lol, famous last words) that you should try fasting to help your body heal faster (something about letting your body not expend energy on digestion but rather on targeting the sickness). So for two days I practiced 16:8 fasting and I honestly felt better in 2 days instead of the week+ that other people are suffering. Maybe it was just a fluke, but um, new favorite trick for illness! 

Smiling for Mr. Handsome (Rusty) who had his first grade concert this week. He was so proud and cute in his dress up clothes and the rest of our kids did a good job being patient and well behaved at the show that was much too long for a school night. We got reminded of our favorite Christmas tune (Christmas Train) and now we are all singing it constantly and waiting for others to join in on the song at our house. 

Intrigued and discussing a possible new opportunity for me. A shout out to my friend, Loni who has been so patient with my endless questions. xxo

Wondering how it is possible to get more pretty with braces on...because that's what happened for our Gemmi Rose. Aunt Kitty took her to her appointment on Friday (thank you! best godmomma and aunt ever!) and sent photos and videos to me while I was worrying about her at school. Gem came out of her top braces looking like a stinking teenager and even more beautiful. She loves them (she got light blue gumbands) and is so happy with them. She did have a sore mouth the day after, but Aunt Kitty took her shopping afterwards for all kinds of braces-friendly foods that she is proud ot have all to herself, so she managed the pain. 

Dividing & Conquering babysitting edition. Rusty and I spent the evening at cousin Butter & Becky's house with their two sweeties (Logan and baby Ryder) so they could attend Becky's work holiday party. We had pizza, the boys played a million different games together including baby Ryder pretends to punch them in the face while they fall down in fits of giggles. While Rust and I were with the Gilmores, Brandon stayed home with the rest of our crew and our cousins Lainey, Remi, and Millie so Heather and Albert could go out for their belated anniversary dinner date! All the kids love spending time with their cousins so it was a win all around.

Bloodwork date with Brandon on Saturday morning (haha, romantic!) We took the two babies with us too while we both got stuck for our upcoming doc appointment. I haven't had routine bloodwork done since I was pregnant with Olive and Brandon hasn't had it done since...um, since ever!? Just routine baseline/check in for both of us since we are becoming elderlies (hah). Brandon did not pass out - so that was a big win! #proudwife, LOL.

Fangirling over my drama students who put on their Christmas production. B, the kids, and I all went on Saturday night to watch the comedy and the students did wonderfully (as always). We laughed and tried to guess the whodunit (B guessed right!) and I was supremely proud of my brave students who live out their passions. 

Teaching the last chapters of Capibara con Botas (chapters 9-14) and then we took the final quiz on the book. In Spanish 2 we learned about the Chilean mining accident and watched The 33 (the movie). I love this unit and I connect to the mining accident that happened locally in 2002 (9 for 9!) Spanish 3 and 4 read chapters 4-10 in Bananas and took their vocab quiz. I also sent out the info for the upcoming door decorating contest at school (Christmas tunes!) and I scheduled the Jr Class fundraising event to raise money for the prom! 

Sporting with one wrestling practice (& the fundraiser due - thank you friends & family who bought raffle tickets from him!) for Rusty and a Sparks soccer try-out for Violet on Saturday morning (she forgot indoor shoes and wore her cleats instead!? So we had to run home to grab the right shoes...I swear, it's a circus everyday over here!). Gem had two JrHigh bball practices and two JrHigh bball games where she kept the book/stats for the team. Grey had three practices and two JrHigh bball games. 

Making spaghetti with chicken & veggies, copycat Panera broccoli & cheddar soup with Italian breadsticks, fancied up leftovers (baked spaghetti & teriyaki chicken & rice), chicken fajitas, baked ravioli, and take out pizza on babysitting night (at both houses!).

Christmas cookie baking: peanut butter blossoms! The kids helped unwrap all the hershey kisses just so they could sneak-eat some! 

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!