Around Here Week 26: 06/23-06/29

Monday, July 1, 2019

A peek into what it is like to live in our home just this moment.


















photo cred: Pam Huffman





Intentional Hours Outdoors: 284+ hours (of 1000)
Up 31 hours this week but truthfully didn't push myself very hard for most of the week - I want to do better and get to 40 hours! Between baseball game concession stand duty (I count that as outdoors!) and Grey's game, I had a 10+ hour day outside on Saturday alone (hah!) We built a fire one night this week (heals my soul), and we spent some afternoons outside enjoying the weather, reading, swimming, and mowing.

Reading We Got This by Cornelius Minor with the Book Love Foundation Summer Club. I got my highlighter and post-its out like a true teacher nerd and I'm making all kinds of notations along the way. It really has me excited and inspired for next school year  (did I mention I already bought my teacher happy planner for the upcoming school year! hah!) They had a facebook live interview with the author on the book club discussion board and it was like true (amazing) professional development for a half hour!

Visiting with our favorites to kick off our Fioder Crew No Bummer Summer! We spent the day at our friends Sophia & Charlie's new house. They have a great pool and waterslide and the kids had so much fun. We have a lot of things on our No Bummer Summer list (including drive in movies, minor league baseball games, and blueberry picking!) and this was the perfect lowkey kick off!

Holding on to my title as second tallest person in our family for as long as I can. Grey had his well check this week and he's 4'6"; steadily creeping up on my 5'3" like it ain't not thang.

Enjoying the company of Grey's friend/teammate who spent the afternoon at our house. He has a working mom and we got to talking at a party the other week about how he hangs out with his older sister and is mostly stuck in the house during the day and I was all like....um, do you know I want to RENT a child to play with Grey during the summer months!? Grey's energy and intensity makes our whole family exhausted and he just needs another boy his age to go nonstop with. It was amazing to have Braedon here all afternoon so that they could just play together. Hopefully this will become a weekly event! I love when the universe aligns to bring about mutually beneficial serendipity!

Having an afternoon to myself while all four kids went to Living Treasures Zoo with Gigi and Pappy. They had so much fun and I got to get laundry done, change all the bedsheets, and even watched a Netflix movie all by myself (Someone Great - very cute and made me miss my best friends so much! love you Kate & Karp!)

Brainstorming at the You in Flood City board meeting with beautiful and creative minds that are going to make this community a better place!

Experiencing a 'small world' bizarre moment. I am so much more of a Amazon Prime spender and I never check Craigslist or Fbook Marketplace which is terrible money wasting -but luckily my Dad is like a deal sleuth on the internet. So he sent me a link to life jackets that we are in the market for on fbook marketplace. Here, when I agree to buy them and pick them up somewhere in and around our town (ya know, it's all general locations online) - lo and behold it is a woman who lives IN our neighborhood! hahahaah! I was cracking up about it. So now everyone has life jackets AND I got to meet a new neighbor!

Seriously discussing a big home renovation project. B and I have been thinking about and daydreaming a major reno for the downstairs (including blowing the outside walls in our dining room and kitchen to make a great room that includes the side patio AND converting our current living room into a master bedroom for us) which is a huge (and costly) project. We've talked to family, pinned ideas on pinterest, and drew up cartoonish plans of big dreams. We love our yard and our space so much - the house is not my favorite because it's so walled up and disconnected, but we would never move away from this beautiful location. So we're trying to think big and creative (Chip & Joanna, we need you! hah). B took the first real step this week and had a little chat with the bank people to see what we even would do first if we were really going to do this. It seems terrifying, but if this place is going to be forever, then we want our kids to have memories of being kids in the same space that it will look like when they visit as adults. Wah, I don't know. It's exciting and scary.

Sorting all the boys clothes in the attic; such a task but feels so good to get it done. I pulled every box of boys clothes (all the sizes) down from the attic and went through every piece of clothing and sorted it. I switched out Grey and Rusty's clothes from their dressers and closets that no longer fit (or that they never wear) and put in new and correct sizes. Then I hugged and kissed too small clothes goodbye and four containers going out to friends with younger boys. I also put together the clothes that are right between my boys to send to their cousin Benny who gets them after Grey and sends them back to us for Rust (best handmedown exchange ever!)

Summer sporting with Roxbury volleyball game at 9p (!so late! thanks for babysitting Ariel!) and having so much fun playing with two of my students. We had six players; the first time all season; and we cranked out three wins. Grey had his first summer tournament with his all-star team and they tried to get in the groove with each other, but unfortunately lost both first games (knocking them out of the tournament). On Saturday evening, B and I traveled to Hollidaysburg for Grey's first actual Little League sanction game while my parents watched the other three kids (thank you so so much!) After a rain delay, and being down 0-8 in the fourth inning, our boys refused to give up and came back to win the game in the ninth inning (3 extra innings & 4 hours of baseball!) with 12-11. It was honestly the craziest game I've ever seen and felt like I was going to throw up and faint multiple times. B kept saying, "we have so many years of sports left with the kids - I don't think my ticker is going to make it!" The team did incredible - both teams did!!- and the boys were so excited and proud. They really proved to all us that you don't ever ever give up. There were a few moments in there that I was mentally preparing my post-game chat after a loss on the ride home; it was really looking grim and we had some tight scares (2 outs, down 1 run, and no one on base in the 9th inning!) but they didn't give up and they did it - all working together and being there for each other when they needed it. #sportsaremorethansports

Making popcorn chicken and fries, cheesy chicken and rice, hot dogs, and lots of ham & cheese sandwiches with mayo or ketchup for the kids. I also made haluski and taco meat for the baseball tournament concession stand. We had yummy keto food too including amazing grilled kabobs at Gigi & Pappy's house, grilled pork loin & asapargus, chicken-broccolli-bacon casserole, keto korean beef and broccolli over cauliflower rice, chicken quesadillas with a cheese 'tortilla,' and my favorite breakfast - Keto bagel topped with avocado, feta cheese, and sunflower seeds.

Keto'ing and down another 2.4lbs which makes it a total of 8.2lbs down for the month of June! B is down 15.6 lbs this month! We started out committing to just one month of Keto, but we are feeling so good and energized that B and I have decided to do another month! And we're going to incorporate intermittent fasting this time. It is kind of easy to already do intermittent fasting by accident while doing Keto because you don't feel hungry and sluggish constantly, but we are going to get more serious about it. Weirdly looking forward to another month!

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!