self-care novice seeking help

Friday, June 28, 2019

I am a hard enneagram two (2 wing 3) and struggle so much with meeting my own needs. (Thank you for introducing me to the enneagram, Shelly!) I am notorious for burning myself out. Ask my husband, and my parents, and my sisters, and my friends, and even me. Even though I know I shouldn't (can't); I pour and pour and pour from my cup into everyone else's until my body literally stops functioning and I have to take a sick day. I know how frustrating it is for everyone who loves me, and it's too hard on me too.

By the end of the school year, I was barely keeping my head above water. Teachers take a lot of crap for getting summer months off - but I saw a meme recently that said, "I'm a teacher. I don't get three months off of work, I do the work of 12 months in 9 months time" and I was all like, "Yep."

I have made it my focus to recharge and take care of my soul this summer. This is a radical to my brain (and feels so selfish), but I know it needs done.


Some of my self care has included

  • drinking coffee on the porch in the morning sun
  • sitting down to track, update, and brainstorm in my daily planner every day
  • working on our family yearbook for 2018-19
  • doing Keto and focusing on real food (preparing, making, enjoying)
  • taking the dogs for walks
  • going outside and leaving the chores to wait
  • three new bathing suits from cupshe (the first bathing suits I've purchased since maternity suits!) and I do Stitch Fix every other month which makes me feel confident and put together (I love my stylist Lucy, she seriously gets me)
  • building a fire outside at night
  • a lot of reading
  • practicing French on Duolingo
  • wearing lipstick even on days I don't leave the house
  • baking for the kids
  • peppermint hot tea or iced coffee in the afternoon

This has been so good for my soul and heart. I am trying very hard to not be critical of myself and to fight the voice of that mean girl that lives in my mind who says that I'm selfish and not good enough yet. (ughhhh, she's the worst!)

But I also know that I need to make a change for the rest of the nine months, I need to take care of myself all the time. I am starting to brainstorm ways that I can make pockets of time throughout the school year to be consistent about self care. I have some initial thoughts floating around in my head including a diffuser, an end of day reflection journal, and a yoga ball chair in school and a "this is official meal prep day" of the week at home.

But I'm also not too ashamed to admit that I could use help in this department. Literal novice over here, hah!

What are some ideas that are practical and feasible that you think I could do for self-care during the school year. With four kids, a handsome hubs, roughly 110 students, volunteering coaching and Sunday School teaching, and pets.  I need little regular moments of refilling my cup - whatcha got for me? It is so appreciated!

3 comments:

  1. hi! this is my friend, gracy- she's amazing! https://gracy-s-school.thinkific.com/courses/thebeautifullifecollective?fbclid=IwAR2nC4c7AG5xW8qpX4R0IOuaWSNHeaiVzG1zuDDSpba9YJPkuKr0bxOeKOY -- check it out and see if there is any inspiration for you xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is me too. I do genuinely love giving of myself to others, but then always seem surprised when there is literally nothing left in the tank. I crash and burn and have minor panic attacks when I know it could have been avoided if I had just paced myself better. No advice, but solidarity! I'll be anxious to hear what works for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I keep my "me time" as sacred as I would a dentist appointment. Maybe you could have a day each month, or a few hours each week, that were just yours to do with as you please. If you can guard them (with four kids, they require guarding- hah!) that would be a great way to make sure you take care of yourself regularly.
    Daily gratitudes were really helpful for me when I was overwhelmed- I wrote 3 things each day. Super simple, but enough to keep me focused on all I had to be thankful for, instead of constantly feeling like I was in an ocean of chaos, lost at sea.
    You have such a big heart- just treat yourself as good as you would treat a friend, and you'll be golden! ;)

    ReplyDelete