Around Here Week 52: 12/27-31

Saturday, January 14, 2023

 A glimpse into the final week of our 2022. 













photo cred: Abba 

photo cred: Heather










if grown ups did what kids do: prove they could pick each other up (LOL forever)


photo cred: Lisa

Intentional Outdoor Hours FINAL COUNT: 748+ hours (of 1000)
Scored some final hours this week because after the artic blast of last week, mother nature decided we needed some spring temperatures to thaw us all out. Like literally was almost 60 degrees around here. It was wonderfully weird in the dead of winter, but I'll take it. Happy to soak up the vitamin D into my skin. 

Reading and finishing Where the Forest Meets the Stars by Glendy Vanderah. It was a borrow from my student Ruby who always reads the most interesting books and then shares them with me. There was something I really loved about the book but I can't quite put my finger on it - maybe it was all the nature, maybe it was the tiny moments of intricate detail, maybe it was the beautiful cover, maybe it was all the wavering between believing and questioning. Whatever it was, I was wrapped up in the story.  I also finished a manga borrow from my student Faith: Jujutsu Kaisen Volume 0 by Gege Akutami. I probably won't continue anymore with the series, but I am grateful to have at least dipped my toe in the storyline. Then, I started Jackal by Erin E Adams for our next book club read. 

Books Read FINAL COUNT: 24! Which is my yearly goal, so yay! I tried a new genre this year thanks to some encouraging students (manga)! and I read some really great books, one of which has become one of my top five favorites ever (The Ten Thousand Doors of January by Alix E Harrow) Ever since I read Alias Grace by Margaret Atwood it has been in my mind, like I have weird flashbacks like they are my own memories but it's that book (LOL, what does that mean?!) Free to Learn by Peter Reynolds and How We Show Up by Mia Birdsong have changed my mind and heart. #mustreadallthebooks 

Book Club meeting at Nyko's to discuss John Dies at the End by Jason Pargin. Well, as usual we did a little discussing of the book and a lot of catching up and chatting too. Afterwards, Loni and I extended our chat at The Fifth which was much needed because life and kids and teaching and all.the.things have kept us too busy for too long. Grateful for the time to talk and laugh together (love you! xxo) We picked our next book too! Jackel by Erin E Adams - an author who was born and raised right here in Johnstown and then made it the setting for her legend/horror style story! 

Treehouse getaway mini trip with Brandon. We had booked a VRBO for our Christmas gift to each other and we might have to do it annually. We spent two nights in Farmington, PA in the Treehouse at Fernstone. It was such a quiet and relaxing trip to spend time together. Our treehouse was just a studio tiny house and so perfect for resting, reading, and enjoying the porch and outdoor hot tub! We ate good food from local spots (Braddock's, Stone House Inn, Mountain Pies, and Bittersweet CafĂ©). We spent some of Thursday hiking around the property and it was perfect (B was like, "I knew you were going to try to get a hike into this trip" - LOL). I read a ton and we slept in until 10am! It is such a comfort to spend time together always - but just us together is heavenly. We just really like each other and I don't care if you throw up in your mouth a little bit, but, honestly I just love being near this man of mine. 

Thankful we can get away because we have people who squeeze in to help. My mom came to stay at the house while we were away to stay with five of the kids and Osa (bless her!) She slept approximately 1 hour each night because of Osa and also did about 35 loads of laundry and cleaned up the back porch. (honestly, an angel!!) Miss Emma came one day to be with the babies during our trip too (another blessing!)  Grey spent all three days at the Rummel's house with cousin Caleb (thank you Heather!) We are able to get some time together because others rearranged their days and we are so very grateful. love you forever xxox

New Puppy training. This week's agenda included introducing Osa to the farm and working on house training (ugh). I swear, having a new puppy is almost harder than having a newborn baby! 

Studerbabies event hosting. We had a Christmas tree drop off & farm visit on Friday at our house. We had a few families show up for farm visits in the beautiful, uncharacteristic December weather (it was in the mid 50's!) Osa was a big hit with all the kids, but as always chasing chickens and ducks are the most favorite activity. We accept trees all winter long - but it was fun to have a specific day that we could invite families and kiddos to come for a farm visit! (thank you to everyone who stopped by and to everyone who has donated their tree so far!) 

Getting in all the naps. This week is such a weird blur of time and space. We have kids that sleep until mid-afternoon and then stay up late into the night. Clothes and laundry everywhere. All the snacks and non-meals possible. Blankets and pillows and random half-assembled Christmas gifts littering the floor. It's just madness in the most pure and chaotic form, but also in the best way possible. Only the last week of the year allows this kind of madness, so I try my best to embrace it.  

Loving 'what day is it?' week. Hah, this week is such a weird blur of timelessness and lawlessness and expectationless. I love the suspension of normalcy for this one week of the year. 

Playdates for the girls. Gem and Vi had a fun afternoon with the Lasure girls and then Violet had a playdate with her friend Jaycee. Always grateful for our kids' friends' families who provide extra space for them to play and just be their own self; to grow in their own story width-wise. In a big tight-knit family, it is so easy to get stuck in the role of "so and so's sibling" or "one of the Studer kids." but with time in their own substories with their own friends and relationships, away from us (as much as that shreds pieces of a my mother's heart), I know it builds up my kids in a way that helps the grow and learn. (thank you to everyone in our extended village!) 

Visiting with the Vorndrans. We enjoyed a fun afternoon at our house with some of our besties - and by fun I mean with people we love who laugh and shrug when babies wake up from a nap in the worst possible mood ever (bless you Tare and Dobber!) Our kids all had fun playing together and Osa got plenty of extra snuggles and love that day. We had snacks and drinks and laughed about all the past between us but also parenthood and life. The best kind of chats. love you guys - thanks for squeezing in time during your visit home! 

Spending a quiet New Years evening at home reading. (gah! heavenly bliss!) B took the four biggest kids into Uncle Ray's house for a little while to visit with the Gilmore cousins, so that meant that me and the babies were home alone and I read, read, read while they played and randomly jumped into my lap for a snuggle. They went to bed at their normal bedtime and it wasn't until about 10p that everyone minus Grey (who went to the Valentines house - thank you!) and plus cousin Audra came back home to finish out the year 2022. 

Sporting with just 2 basketball practices for Grey. We dropped him off at practice on Wednesday and Heather picked him up. Kept him until practice on Friday where she dropped him off and we picked him back up! (thank you!) Easy sports week that was good for everyone's bodies in need of rest. 

Making copycat Olive Garden chicken and pasta, pork roast/hot dogs/sauerkraut in a roster for the new year. I ate lots of leftovers up (holiday food!) and made ham pot pie with our Christmas eve leftover tavern ham. I made nacho dip with Grey's deer meat and buff chicken dip for our visit with the Vorndrans. We also ate out a ton this week - me and B at our mini getaway and then we also got pizza ordered for the kids at home. 

1 comment:

  1. Your getaway looks lovely. Josh and I snuck away for two nights in August and it was so lovely as well. Like, "Oh hey! I remember you!" Haha! Sometimes life at home is such chaos. It's nice to have a chance to finish entire conversations. Well, that and sleep!
    I agree 100% that a puppy is harder than a baby. Something about the immediate potty training that feels impossible. I remember telling Josh I just wish Piper had a diaper.
    Good job on 24 books!! I love reading about what you're reading and seeing all your book photos.

    ReplyDelete