Homeschool Pre-K Week 12

Wednesday, November 24, 2021

While attempting to do our bus focus last week, Rusty got really hyped about doodling because we followed along with Mo Willems' lunch doodle video to recreate the Pigeon from his book. Rust is a good boy though, so he was still going along with my parent-led ideas of bus themed stuff - but in all the off moments, I would find him re-doodling the pigeon or showing his siblings how to draw it, or pulling out our Step by Step Drawing Book and filling papers with little images. 

When I found a post it note that said "Mom" on it next to a post it note of a tiny pigeon doodle stuck to the book I'm reading on my nightstand table I finally had the face palm moment of like - why am I not leaning into this curiosity. So we bailed on the bus plans and took a child-led dive into doodling this week! 

We kept it light and fun and I didn't push too hard on beating the learning out of it. I let Rust have opportunities to doodle and made sure I gave him an audience to show it and feel proud. It was a good week!

Child led topic
Lesson: Doodling

Books we read:
The Dot by Peter H Reynolds
Frida by Jonah Winter

Reference Books:
The Usborne Step by Step Drawing Book
How to Draw 100 Animals 
Ed Emberley's Drawing Book of Animals

Reference Channels: 
Lunch Doodles with Mo Willems
Doodling for Beginners: Fall Doodles (warning: she curses a little bit so if your kids would be shocked by this, maybe choose a different artist). 

Doodles:
Self portrait (with mirror)
teddy bear
scenes of castles and dragons
random animals
fall themed items (leaves, foods, clothes)
eggs with animals hatching out of them
bubble letters
family members

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!