Around here week 16: 04/18-24

Monday, May 10, 2021

 a glimpse into what it is like to live in our home just this moment. 

















Intentional Outdoor Hours:  58+ hours (of 1000)
Up 8 hours this week with beautiful weather in the first half of the week (sings to my soul!) and then literal snow by Wednesday. Early in the week, Red and I waddled and toddled all over the yard marveling at the dandelions and bees and blooming trees. I snapped a couple photos of our gorgeous trees (including our pear tree in the photo above) because I was worried the upcoming snow and cold would ruin the view. 

Reading and finishing The Book of Two Ways by Jodi Piccoult. It wasn't my favorite Piccoult book (I really do love her books normally and I'm always inspired by her dedication to research of the topic), but it felt very academic and also kind of too much crammed into one story. Reminiscent of The Notebook too in the way that it's like, "oh, I'm sorry girl - you have two incredible men who love you to pick from? boo hoo" (hah). We had our Project Lit meeting this week too and got our new books - Clap When You Land by Karen Acevedo

Prepping the garden. B took another rototiller pass on the garden and now we wait for the frosts to be over to put our seedbabies in the ground. Brandon's Mimi says to wait until at the very earliest the April full moon, so they are still hanging out and growing on our dining room table for now. 

Checking in on the 35 week bump (and my goat hoof wound - it's slowly getting better). She is doing just fine in there and next week will start our weekly check ins. I am so D-O-N-E done. I keep trying to focus on the fact that every day longer in there for her is beneficial for her and we are slowly getting to the end day by day. But honestly, it feels like I've been pregnant for two years straight (oh wait, I have basically) and I can barely make it one more hour let alone 4+ more weeks. I am so very excited to be one singular person again, I cannot adequately describe. I told B about that magical moment in the hospital when you feel okay enough to get in the shower and your body is totally tired and busted up and your belly skin is all saggy and weird and everything feels foreign but HOLY CRAP you are just ONE PERSON. Like your body feels so strange and beaten up, but it's just you by yourself in that shower with the hot water and I get this euphoric feeling of like, okay - it's just me in here, I got this! 

Hauling all five kids and the baby bump to the Peds office for three well checks. Gem, Grey, and Red were all do for annual well checks and everyone had to come a long for the ride. Let me tell you how hilarious it is to have all of us stuffed into one Peds exam room, every nurse/doc that came in was like - "whoa! party room!" #bigfamprobs 

Thankful that this is the boys' last week at home from daycare covid closure as it has been madness trying to make plans for everyone to be accounted for during the day. Thankfully we had Miss Hannah again this week, Aunt Uch took a day (thank you!), and B and I both stayed home each one day! 

Calendar'ing like a fool. I got all the schedules and filled out our May game/school event calendar and just shook my head at the madness. I color coded it all and B made copies for the grandparents and aunts - because somehow we will figure out how to get a familiar face in the crowd (thank goodness for family!) Luckily, Violet is teamed up with cousin Benny and Rust is on the same team as cousin Brookie - so we will always have cousins at those games to root us on! I also had a zoom meeting with my subcommittee for the 5th grade promotion party to get some firm thoughts on that event coming up already at the end of May!) 

Recognizing that all the ends are in sight (end of my school year, end of this pregnancy, end of the kids' school year, end of prom planning) and yet they are all also just a little too far away too. This is the ansty pantsy part of the year that everyone's a little nutty and feeling like "can we just be done already!" while simultaneously looking at your to do list frantically panicking like "holy crap, so much to do, so little time!" 

Ordering our caterpillars from Insect Lore so we can raise painted lady butterflies again this year!

Gobbling in the turkeys for youth mentor day on Saturday. B and Grey slept over at Uncle Jonny's house to start early in the morning. They heard lots of turkeys but no luck. I am still committed to my belief that those boys miss on purpose to ensure another weekend of 'reindeer games.' Pappy picked up Gemma around 5a on Saturday morning and the two of them hung out in the blind all morning and didn't see/hear any birds but did see a coyote! Gem got to spend the rest of the day at Pappy and Gigi's!

Sporting with the first week of soccer practices in the books! All three soccer kids had practice on Monday night. Red and I hung out at the fields while someone was practicing from 5:30-7:30p. Grey and B left for Grey's baseball game...and that's pretty much how it's going to go for the next 6 weeks.  Grey's game on Monday was a win and then games and practice were cancelled on Wednesday and Thursday because IT SNOWED. (good grief!) Gem had a make up soccer practice on Friday night too, everyone else has been bumped to next week when the weather is supposed to warm up again to Spring temps! 

Teaching Spanish 1 about Los Castells de Tarragona and finishing out the week building towers with mini cups. Spanish 2 read chapters 4-8 of El Ekeko and Spanish 3 read chapters 3-5 of Felipe Alou. Spanish 4 took a vocab quiz and brainstormed their piƱata design for the class project next week! I only taught four days this week and called off on Thursday for staying home with the daycare boys, and doctor appointment rushing about for the baby bump and also the well checks for the kids. My Spanish Club kids spent some time at the elementary school this week to provide a PSSA brain break for the third and fourth graders by playing Just Dance after their testing too! 

Making mac&cheese and sandwiches, swedish meatballs over mashed potatoes, pierogies, cheddar brats and haluski, and we ordered in Primos pizza and wings one night. We had lasagna on Monday night delivered from Heather (thank you!) and B and I enjoyed more Green Chef meals this week including Korean Rice with Kimichi, Brocolli Noodle bowls, and Sweet Potato Coucous bowls. 

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!