Around Here Week 34: 08/20-26

Friday, September 8, 2023

 A glimpse into what it is like to be in our family in this BACK TO SCHOOL week...and a milestone birthday! My 40th! 






school supplies purchased by friends & family from my wishlist - THANK YOU!!
















photo cred: Eva M


photo cred: Jenn V


photo cred: Football Boosters

photo cred: Pam H

photo cred: Becky C



















Intentional Outdoor Hours: 534+ hours  (of 1000)
Snagging lots of hours at practices/scrimmages/games - tis the season! It was horrendously hot and sunny at the youth games on Saturday - too hot for football/cheer season! You know I'm ready for clouds and breezes and chilly evenings and mornings.

Reading Wool by Hugh Howey and The Luminaries by Susan Dennard...still barely reading anything because we are in transition time - but a page at bed gives me the consistency I need to know that everything still goes on even when everything is everywhere.

Birthday Miles: Mile 38 with Stephanie (1.29 miles via phone from PA to Hawaii!), Mile 39 with Taryn (2.65 miles via phone to Pittsburgh at 9p at night!), and mile 40 with Brandon! I did it! 40+miles with 40 people who have walked these 40 years alongside me. I loved this birthday "party" so much and will have a whole post recapping it. Thank you everyone who helped me get my birthday miles in; love you forever xxox.

Wishing a happy half birthday to our Gemmi Rose. Eleven and a half and doesn't look a day younger than 14 at 5'5'' with legs up to her chin and hair halfway down her back. She was named perfectly as she is an actual gem of a person. How blessed we are to love her. Grateful for and proud of you everyday, Roie. 

Playdates this week. The Kochs stopped by on Sunday after Ninna's alumni soccer game at UPJ. It was a quick visit but also brings our souls joy to spend time with our favorites. We hosted the Conn twins at our house on a teacher inservice day for their momma. We love having those big boys over who play with all the siblings and keep our Grey happy and laughing. Grey went to the football game with the Valentines and Violet went with the Feathers (thank you both!) And we got to see the Kochs and our Gilmore cousins at the Friday Night Lights game because they came to support Coach Daddy (thank you - we love you!!)

Back to school prep like decorating middle school lockers, visiting mom's classroom to help set up and eat lunch (hah), being in an intimate relationship with Canva while I make my Schoology buttons, syllabus, and class meeting presentations (hah), creating first day of school posters and writing our signatures for the grade we are entering (annual tradition).

Last minute errands to try to get my mind right for the new school year. I ordered Grey's contacts & glasses, returned a child-size nebulizer. I cleaned up in the kids' bedrooms and attempted to clear some of the catch-all dining room table dump station (ugh). I doubled checked in with our nanny (and angel on Earth) Miss Emma about scheduling, and returned a package. Grey and the Conn twins built Osa a lean-to house out of pallets and we had a fence delivered for her to see if we can get her in a schedule during the weekdays (spoiler alert: she broke through it after 4 hours...which is why they are nicknamed Great DISA-Pyrenees.)

First day of school! B just gives me a big hug that morning before everyone wakes up because he knows how my heart breaks a little bit every year on the first day; to see time slip right through our fists just makes me so proud, happy, and heartbroken at the same time. Man, life is so beautiful and awful. Anyway, the kids were champs and did great and God bless all the educators and bus drivers and custodians and lunch ladies and administrators and coaches and every single soul that interacts with my babies all day that helps them grow and learn and become who they are going to become. And hugs to their friends who love the heck out of them and give them stories and paths all their own...You see?! My heart is not cut out for this - hah. 

Feeling the relief of having a parent at our kids' school. All four kids get up and go to school with Brandon and at the end of the day, they are all able to get back to his office. The relief I feel from not having to try to beat the bus to the bus stop at the end of the day is incredible. Moving into a new job while also being the varsity coach has been a tough transition - but it took literally for the first day of school for B and I to be like, "oh yeah, this is worth it." He has said both days now how much he likes to see the kids that little bit extra time in the morning and hear about their days after school.  We still have a long way before we work out all the kinks and get into the groove, but having B there has been a huge win for our daily grind.

Dividing and conquering as is the way with a big family. While I loaded up the babies and headed to Purchase Line to watch Grey's scrimmage, B, Rusty, Violet, and Gemma attended the fall sports community Pep Rally. As the varsity coach, B was on the block for getting pie'd in the face and Rusty was the one who won the opportunity. Hah! Then for Friday night, Gem went with Brandon and the team (she helps the trainer on the side lines and is the water girl) while Grey and Vi found rides with other families, and I had the babies and Rusty with me. Our first stop was Meet the Teacher at my school and then we hustled out to River Valley to get there right at halftime.  The logistics of a big family of athletes makes me tired, but is always worth it. Huge shout-out as always to the babies who are freaking bleacher champions and an enormous thank you to all our friends, family, and teammates' families who cheer for our kiddos. We could not do this without you!!

So happy to have my nephews back at our house when I get home from school! Little darlings are staying with Miss Emma 3 days a week at our house and I just love hugging and kissing their little faces after a day at school. My sweetie boys (thank you Uchie and Kev for those two honeys...tia, lovin' you.)

Laughing instead of crying at the flat tire I got on the way home from the football game. First, I literally almost fell asleep 800 times on the way driving through the mountains behind the slowest tractor trailer of all time (thank goodness for friends who agree to talk to me on the phone at 11p at night to keep me awake). THEN, I almost make it home only to have one of Lucille's tire blow out. I pulled over and called Brandon who was just getting back to the locker room. He dropped Gem off at our house and then he and Coach Joel came to our rescue. It took a long time to get the spare out, then take the tire off - then they wished me a happy birthday because it was midnight (LOL), then they got the spare tire on, jacked the van down and lo and behold - the spare was also flat ?!?! Oh man, it was actually kind of funny. So we packed up, abandoned Lucille there and went the heck home. B was able to get a new tire on Saturday morning and we swapped it out before heading to the youth games - so she's back up and running. (Thank you Coach Joel for being there for us in the eleventh hour and ringing my birthday in!)

Turning 40!! I don't feel sad or worried or stressed; what a privilege to get to grow older! I am definitely going through all the wild feelings and emotions that I have every year around my birthday. So much reflection and gratitude and hopes and dreams of being better and more intentional with each new year and age. I am really looking forward to my 40's, I know who I am and maybe finally feel old enough (?) mature enough (?) have enough life experience (?) to believe it to be true - that I am worthy. Young people of the world, please do better than me - you do not have to wait until you are 40 to believe your worth is inherent! I think if I could go back and hug myself in my 20's and my 30's that's what I would say; that I was worthy all along and there was no amount of proof that I needed to provide. I am still learning this (my best friends, husband, and sisters will tell you this) - that living up to this ideal I have in my heart is exhausting and ridiculous, but after all my birthday walks and a lot of reflection and honestly just turning the corner at 40...I'm hoping I can really internalize the belief that I am worthy just as I am. (thanks for always loving me just as I am - even if I haven't. xxo)

Smiling and feeling the love on my birthday. I had phone calls and texts, surprise signs & balloons at the end of our neighborhood, gifts and notes in my mailbox, and so many messages on social media. My cheer squad sang Happy Birthday to me during the football game on Saturday (thank you Coach Britney and girls!) and we had ice cream cake and my favorite grilled chicken salad for dinner that night (thank you B and the kids). Thank you, thank you, thank you!! 

Ladies, get you a man who coaches the Varsity football team on Friday night, then refs your son's flag football game on the following morning. In between games, he also practices the cheer halftime routines with your daughters, and during games holds babies napping on his lap in the blazing sun. In the words of Salt&Peppa...what a man, what a man, what a mighty fine man. 

Teaching not quite, but I did have my first official day of school this week. On Friday, we had our first teacher day which included a staff meeting, time to set up our rooms, and then later that evening a Meet the Teacher open house event before the first home football game. The administration did a great job setting up pop-up tents and having swag to hand out to the families that stopped by to visit all the teachers. I got to see a few students (old, new, and current!)

Sporting with two flag football practices for Rusty, one cheer practice each for Violet and Gemma. Rusty&Violet had their team photos this week and I took the opportunity to  Gem also attended the JrHigh girls soccer practices so she can bond with the team for next year and also get in practices and be an extra body for the team (thanks for having her Coach Fetterman & Mowry!) Grey had football practice 3 days this week and then had a scrimmage at Purchase Line on Thursday night (they looked great!) Brandon's Varsity football team had 4 practices and their first game at River Valley on Friday night. They lost after a major momentum shift late in the second quarter, but the team looked good and has specific points to improve upon. B felt proud and glad to have the first game out of the way. The youth teams (Rusty, Vi, and Gemma) played all day (7 hours!) at Meyersdale on Saturday. Rusty played running back and linebacker, Violet did great cheering her first game and did perfect as a flyer in the halftime routine and my Majors cheerleaders looked amazing during their halftime dance (seriously, so proud of them!) Gem and I had to quick paint the run-through that morning during the early games (lol).

Making baked ravioli, pulled pork & green beans, ground turkey tacos, copycat Olive Garden chicken over pasta, sloppy joes with mac&cheese and pierogies, take out pizza, and takeout wings and my favorite grilled chicken salad from Tailgatez for my birthday! For breakfast we had: eggs, bacon, & roasted potato bowls, french toast, and cinnamon rolls. And for desserts I made cowboy cookies and B and the kids got me a Reese's Pieces ice cream cake to celebrate my 40th! 

1 comment:

  1. Happy belated Birthday, sweet friend!! I can completely identify when you wrote: "if I could go back and hug myself in my 20's and my 30's...I would say that I was worthy all along and there was no amount of proof that I needed to provide." I'm just a bit behind you in age but also learning that my worth is so much more than the gold stars and completed task list. May our daughters learn that lesson a lot sooner than us!
    Wishing you a wonderful 40th year! xoxo

    ReplyDelete