Around Here Week 47: 11/20-26

Wednesday, December 14, 2022

 A glimpse into what it is like to live in our home just this moment. 






























Intentional Outdoor Hours: 736+ hours (of 1000)
The babies, Gem, Aunt Kitty, and I took a little walk around Roxbury park on Saturday after Gem's game and it was the perfect way to catch up and spend a little time outside too. Other than that, I haven't made much headway on my outdoor hours since we've hit November, but I'm still creeping forward and the kids are still earning hours+ outside most days. I only have 13 hours to go until I hit 750 and that's what I'm shooting for by the end of the year! 

Reading and finishing The Poison Heart by Kalynn Bayron. I didn't finish it before our Project Lit meeting at school (oops!), but I did finish it by the weekend. It was good - but really took a long time to get around to the action, and then when it finally did the book ended! The second book is out but I didn't like it enough to move onto the next book. I'm still inching my way through How We Show Up by Mia Birdsong and The Tattooist of Auschwitz by Heather Morris

Finishing up the window project. B and Pappy worked on putting all the electric back into the wall on Monday night. (thank you!!)

Not loving all the images of coyotes and fox on Grey's trail cams behind our house. He even saw some coyote footprints in the snow this week. Just want to make sure our goaties, chickens, and ducks are all safe - especially thinking ahead to the spring when we have all babies on the farm. 

Bringing the guinea pigs home for the holiday. The pigs were not thrilled to be within reach of the toddlers/babies. Hah! They have become very comfortable in the arms of teenagers at school and the peace and quiet of a classroom in the evening and on the weekends. Our kids were happy to see them and hold them though!

Thanksgiving celebrations. We had a charcuterie breakfast and then watched the Macy's day parade on tv. The kids and Brandon spent a bit of the day outside at the farm while I did 8 tons of laundry and cleaned bathrooms. Later that evening, we all loaded up in Lucille and headed out to Indiana to have dinner at my Aunt Mar's house with our extended Adams Family. The kids were thrilled to see Adam (and try to wrestle his 6'3'' frame to the ground) while the babies were happy to play with their cousins Wells, Heathy, and Wyatt. 

Ho ho holiday shopping online. We made a few purchases for Black Friday but we are chronic procrastinators (I hate us too, lol). 

Smiling at the girls practicing the dance to 'Made You Look' by Meghan Trainor. They are adorable and growing up too fast - eek! 

Chumsgiving celebration. Since my Dad's birthday is always right around Thanksgiving, we celebrate his birthday as Chumsgiving! We enjoyed a Thanksgiving feast, a beer tasting/guessing game, and lots of laughter - especially at the cousins playing twister!

First day of rifle. It's the boys' favorite time of year! Our Gilmore cousins came in and my three biggest fellas headed out on Friday afternoon to kick out their spots and then it was most of the day in the woods on Saturday. Rusty had his first day out with B and whittled me a stick! Grey was in his own spot but kept in contact with everyone else via walkie-talkies all day. Later that night our garage was filled up that evening with all the cousins/uncles butchering the deer they harvested that day. Not exactly my aesthetic (LOL) but I do love having them all together laughing and chatting and teaching the younger kids- passing on the outdoor traditions. 

Setting up the Christmas decorations. While the boys were out hunting, the other kids and I got started on decking our halls. Gem, the babies, and I got the tree up (not trimmed until all the kids are home). Red and Olive were thrilled to get access to the holiday book collection and who knows how long our kid-friendly nativity scene figurines will make it through the season - Liv has already hid two of them! We pulled out our life-size singing Santa Clause too - and I don't care how cheesy he is, I love that thing! It is hilarious to me every time we get a jump scare from thinking he's a real person (hah!) and the babies love dancing to his two little songs - Thank you Mimi for the most hilarious, best Christmas decoration ever.

Teaching only two days this week because of the holiday break. Spanish 1 read chapters 1 & 2 of Capibara con botas. Spanish 2 presented their ¿Qué están en mi bolsa? projects and then played Wits&Wagers, Spanish 3/4 had a bunch of missing students due to County chorus so we had to hold off on starting our novel just yet - we watched supernatural mystery type videos instead to get us hyped for La Llorona. On Wednesday, we had school wide volleyball tournament that Brandon and I played on one of the staff teams. After several challenging games with athlete-filled student teams, our team ended up winning the championship! It is always my favorite day of the school year! 

Sporting with three basketball games for Gemma and I love watching her play, she is so strong and gets a little more confident each game. Brandon left the woods on Saturday morning (first day of rifle) to be at her game and help coach and let me just tell you out there - GET YOU A MAN who leaves first day of rifle for your child's activities!! This week was also the start of Jr High basketball practice for Greyson and he is loving being on the court, big thank you to Chum who took Grey all the way to Altoona for new basketball shoes (he is obsessed!). B and I played in the volleyball tournament at school and were sore for 2 days after (LOL). 

Making all the things without an oven (still, ugh! Although the new hinges for the oven arrived late Saturday!) B and Grey made chicken wings in the fryer including their own sauces! I made haluski, meatball sub sammies, corn & jalapeno dip with chips, pizza rolls, and a deer roast. It was charcuterie mania over here (hah). I made a dessert themed charcuterie for our Staffsgiving at school on the Wednesday early out and then I made Thanksgiving breakfast charcuterie for the kids and they loved the variety and nearly gobbled the whole thing up. Since I had no oven I couldn't make pumpkin roll, so instead I whipped up some no bakes and struggled through making potato candy (although I think I finally figured it out...maybe?) for Chumsgiving.

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!