Around Here Week 2: 01/10-16

Monday, February 1, 2021

 A glimpse into what it is like to live in our home just this moment. 



photo cred: Miss Kayla (thank you!)










Intentional Outdoor Hours: 1+ (of 1000)
ya know what, I'm going easy on myself and not stressing too much about the outdoor time. It's best to track my time because of our whole family - I always get the least hours (ahem, story of a mother's life). So everyone in the house is totally crushing my time and that's what is most important, right? I know, stop enneagram 2, fill your darn cup, girl. It is cold and slippery and I'm a wimp and pregnant. so there's that. 

Reading and finishing Grown by Tiffany D. Jackson in less than 24 hours. My student Breanna let me borrow it on Friday and I was done with it before Saturday. Such a page turner and so good. Also reading Sing Unburied Sing by Jesmyn Ward at home and BearTown by Fredrik Backman at school. 

Deciding for sure to keep Rust home this fall. He is starting to get into academic stuff (writing/recognizing letters, counting) but he is also super content with just playing pretend all day while fighting invisible monsters, and drawing a million pictures that there's no hurry to give him the stress of sitting at a desk for 6hours a day trying to get him to learn to read. He will only be 5 in June and so we're going to wait. I think after all these babies it is just so clear to me that what he needs is to run and play and laugh and learn what it means to share, and be kind, and wonder, and observe and get his wiggles out all the live long day at this age. We still have a lot to think about and plan then for next fall since we will have three not in school - but we'll get there little by little. For now, all I know is the kids are okay. 

Getting through our last week of virtual learning for the elementary aged kids before going back to in-person learning next week. It is also wrapping up the end of the marking period and although all three kids had lower scores this marking period than is normal I also honestly DGAF because virtual learning and figuring out where they were going to be doing that (at home with mom on leave? at dad's office with a bunch of adults working? in mom's classroom while her students were virtual?) was INSANE. but we did it - it's done. we survived, keep marching on, man. 

Switching Red's clothes to 12months. Children and weeds, man. 

Grateful for my sisters who kept all four biggest kids for a sleepover! They got to make their own personal pizzas, do crafts, watch movies, take a hike on the Jim Mayer trail, and snuggle a lot with their favorite two people on the planet. Best aunts everrrrr.  Brandon, Red, and I went to bed early and woke up late on Saturday morning and let me tell you; HEAVEN. 

Going for a haircut on Saturday. I was so grateful to spend the morning with my cousin Mandy while she gave me a much needed cut and low lights. I got a good 5 inches cut off because the second it gets too long all I do is pull it up and that's annoying to me. So it's to right at my shoulders and darker for the winter which I love. Mandy is the best! 

Winter sporting with two basketball games for Grey with his Storm team. We got the notice that Gem will get to play a little more basketball this year too starting next week which has her thrilled. Chum (my dad) came to the rescue for Grey and took him for new basketball shoes because...speaking of weeds and children growing...he's in a 7.5 shoes now! (thank you Dad!)

Teaching in-in person for the forseeable future. Educators are wave 2 of the covid vaccine and my midwife has given me the green light to go for it- so I've signed up and just waiting my turn. Spanish 1 worked through the Legalos competition (clothing design, writing assignment) while Spanish 2 started Somos 12 and worked on their mad-lib style class stories. Spanish 3 dove head first into the preterite tense (!eek!) and Spanish 4 started the pre-work for La Casa de La Dentista including completing Sr. Wooly's rompecabeza's for La Dentista song (they loved them!) 

Making sloppy joes (kid fav!) and shells & cheese, slow cooker cream cheese taquitos, pancakes and bacon (breakfast for dinner), meatloaf, and we got to order in Applebee's on sleepover night (with a gift card from Mimi from Christmas - thank you!) 

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!