Around Here Week 18: 04/26-05/02

Wednesday, May 13, 2020

A glimpse into what it is like to live in our home just this moment (week 7 of covid-19 lockdown)



\








Intentional Outdoor Hours:  43+ hours (of 1000)
Up just 4 hours this week, this spring is turning out to be kind of strange and I'm feeling the effects of getting kind of old. I told Brandon that if the temperature is not above 60 degrees, I'm just too cold and hateful. That sounds ridiculous especially coming from someone who has lived the majority of her life in PA, but for real. I probably just need better clothes, but the chill in the air and the wind this spring (so windy!) has me hesitant to spend tons of time outdoors...well that and the newborn, but still. 

Reading and finishing Dig. by A.S. King. I loved it so much that I felt sad for the rest of the day because I was done with that story and those characters. My copy of Untamed by Glennon Doyle arrived - it's our next Books 'n Brews book - and my blood is moving more swiftly through my veins and I can hear the beautiful female song of all women who came before, stand with me now, and shall come after me. I legit screamed when I read the prologue and the cheetah's name was...TABITHA. Literally a message to me to free my soul and live bigger. I hear you, Glennon. 

Smelling skunk after Bullet got sprayed on Sunday night. One of my students also taught me something interesting after I shared with my class that Bullet got sprayed. He said that since dogs lift their tail as a sign of a greeting/submission - dogs think that when skunks lift their tails they are just being friendly - hahha! (thanks for sharing Connor!)

Loving that Rusty says:  Tinja Nurtles

Social distance visiting with family. Mimi and Kuma came over with their masks on to say hi to Red and the kiddos and deliver Grey his very first Amazon giftcard (coolest gift ever Aunt Pam! He picked out polarized sunglasses for fly fishing and magic 8 ball - literally the epitome of explaining Greyson at 10 years old). My Dad (aka Chum) came over one afternoon to check out our projected back porch plans and give us some thoughts on what he thinks we should do. He got roped into multiple kickball games and brought us snacks for a fire ring dinner that night! On Saturday, we stopped by our cousin's house for a cookout outside and the kids did actually a pretty good job staying away from each other in the yard. 

Impressed with the contraption Grey and Gem built which they hoped would be a usable tire swing but was made out of scrap wood, so it wasn't able to hold a child's weight - but it was still legit. That counts for what in homeschooling...shop class, STEAM, math, and physics...right?

Restocking the fridge and pantry by (finally!) snagging a Walmart pick up time.

'Squatching. Grey pulled out the gorilla/bigfoot costume we have and ran through the yard pretending he was Bigfoot to spook Rusty (ughhh). I reminded him that it would be more funny to make him laugh instead, so they set up a photo shoot in the woods to create 'squatch photos. I just can't with these children. 

Doing a happy dance that our Redland is one month old! He is already changing his look from fresh newborn to growing baby. This also means we are halfway through the rotten 8 and thank goodness because omigoshImsotiredIthinkImightjustdie. 

Enjoying slow Saturday mornings since its still turkey season and my two biggest boys (B and Grey) leave at 4am to get into the woods.  

Considering how we can maintain social distance and do our best to keep all of our community safe - but also have the help, love, and hugs of our own people.  We are tossing around the idea of creating a "Quarantine safe group" which would include grandparents and aunts/uncles. We still have low numbers of covid-19 here in our region and we've been away from our people for 7 weeks! It's starting to feel like, if/when the virus gets here and any of us get sick - we've all missed out on the last 7 weeks of hugs from the people we love most and then what would have been the point of all the separation. Also, after 7 weeks of all kids at home and then the addition of a newborn (while virtual teaching, homeschooling, and taking a college course)...I just kind of need some help. 

College'ing by writing and turning in my second to last assignment for class! I also got to flip some lesson plans into the college official format to prep for my last assignment. 

Homeschooling and finishing their 2 week packets for turn in on Saturday. I also missed BOTH of the kids' class zoom meetings and didn't realize it until looking at the clock about an hour late each times like, 'oops.' 

Virtual Teaching with continuing the Spanish speaking country projects. This week students were researching historically relevant information about their countries. I also set up at powerpoint that we all shared in adding photos called "bring your pet to school week" and I got to see the kids' animals with whom they spend their days. There were wet noses and sweet little whiskers and even some other kinds of pets (birds and lizards!) 

Making
breakfasts: bagels (from Heather) and cream cheese, cinnamon toast, egg & ham breakfast wraps, homemade blueberry scones (easy and my first time!), pancakes, cereal (twice)
lunches: leftovers, baked ravioli, sub sandwiches from our local deli, hot dogs, corn on the cob (some elote for me and Brandon!) with kielbasa and sauerkraut, salads and yogurt parfaits, and chili 
dinners: french toast, mountain pies and hot dogs on the fire, chicken & green beans (from Heather), cereal, creamy Italian chicken in the crockpot over egg noodles, Murphy's wings (from our neighbors) and buffalo chicken dip

1 comment:

  1. We welcomed Josh's parents (who have also been quarantining this whole time) into our circle and it's been life changing. The break they provide and the extra socialization (more grown ups!!!) has made all the difference to us.
    We are all continuing to quarantine, we just allow each other over, so it still feels pretty darn safe. And my sanity is no longer on the brink... so that's probably good as well. ;)

    ReplyDelete