Around Here Week 37: 09/08-14

Friday, September 20, 2019

A peek into what it is like to live in our home just this minute.












Intentional Outdoor Hours: 603+ hours (of 1000)
Up only 9 hours this week, snagging hours at fall sports games, practices, and walks with the dogs. I saw a meme that made me laugh the other day that said, "It is officially wear a sweater in the morning and regret it by the afternoon weather." We had a few downright chilly days, including Saturday morning which then broke through with beautiful sun and an afternoon hot enough to pull out the sprinkler for Rusty & Violet!

Reading Born a Crime by Trevor Noah and loving it so so much.

Readjusting to the school year...still. I'm surprised every fall (how?) that it takes several weeks - almost the whole month of September - to get back into the swing of the new schedule and life on high gear. I've honestly been feeling like I wake up and then suddenly it's bedtime...do I black out all day long? HAH. I don't really, but seriously - it flies by in a blur. I cherish these Around Here posts & pictures because it gives me a chance to look back through the week and remind myself, that yes - the kids are doing alright, we are still together learning, growing, and smiling through life. We're still okay even if it feels like we're on turbo speed.

Honoring first responders for 9/11 in school and at home. I have students sign thank you notes for our resource officer (a retired state police officer) and a teacher who is a firefighter. And our own children write cards for our next door neighbor (also a retired state police officer) who also happens to be the resource officer at their school! We stopped over to visit before bed and got to visit with Mr. Mike and the cutest pup ever, Baby.

Attending Open House night at the big kids' elementary school. I got to see their teachers and meet some new ones. School is going well for both of them so far - Grey has made great strides in his own accountability and pride in work which has been awesome this year after such a struggle in third grade last year. Gem loves school, loves her teachers - but I still have a little worry in the back of my heart about how she processes - so I'm continuing to monitor in the next few weeks to see if maybe it would be helpful to have a teacher meeting.

Laughing & shrugging...because really what else is there to do when your two littlest sharpie an entire wall of wainscotting in the dining room.  #Lawdhelpme They had to work on trying to get it off (thank goodness for Mr. Clean sponges) but there is still a lot left on there. We were planning on repainting soon anyway...right? u.g.h.

Planning a rainbow unicorn birthday party for our Violet girl who will be five this month (!?)

Fall Sporting with just two football practices and one cheer practice this week. Our game is on Wednesday so it we got a little bit of a sports break this week. Although, on Monday night - my Spanish club hosted a Fanático face painting event at the 3 home games at our school (I chaperoned along with B and all 4 kids!) and we got to catch some of each of the games too (boys & girls soccer, and girls volleyball!)

Teaching the verb Hay and adjectives in Spanish 1. They also started Duolingo Fridays which is such an important part of my teacher self care and well being too. Spanish 2 started into their food unit of Somos Unit 8 while the Sp2 Honors class learned about Mexico/Day of the Dead/Cenotes in preparation for their first novel Tumba. They read chapters 1 & 2 on Friday because we have a 4day week next week with an Act 80 day. Spanish 3/4 continued in the Somos Unit 19 Biblioburro unit and even did a fluency reading on a voice recorder. They were so nervous about it but everyone did SO GOOD. I was smiling the whole time listening because most of them did it in their bedroom with no one around and really gave it their best accento. Gahhhhh, i loved it. In every level, we talked about 9/11 on Wednesday and wrote thank you cards for our Resource Officers in the building. (frightening fact: not a single one of my students was even born in 2001!)

Frugal Living with Walmart grocery pick up order online for under $150 for the week. We used the old school popcorn popper because our microwave has been out of commission for over a month (haha - is that frugal that we just refuse to spend money on a new one?) And we had a call with our financial planner for our yearly check in and we are doing well and staying the course (Thanks Dave! You're the best!) 

Making salsa & cheese chicken in the crockpot over rice (big hit!), turkey chili over noodles, literally Silver Bell ice cream for dinner on Wednesday after practices (LOL), turkey burgers on the grill with baked beans and pasta salad, and buffalo chicken dip.

2 comments:

  1. I love love love Walmart Grocery pickup...at this point, I can't imagine life without it! I recently ran into the grocery store for something (my first time in months) and was immediately overstimulated and overwhelmed by everything, hah! Too many temptations and choices!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry about the wainscotting! Oh mama!!!
    And I'm with you, still adjusting to the new school year. And I don't even teach. Hah! Just adjusting to the schedule, and new schools for all, and the routine at home, etc... I am ready for it to be mid-October where we are all able to do it with our eyes closed. ;)
    Thinking of you & your beautiful littles all the time!!!

    ReplyDelete