Around Here Week 31: 07/30-08/05

Wednesday, August 16, 2023

 A glimpse into what our life is like just this moment. 



before & after office make over!



photo cred: Courtney H








photo cred: Uch












photo cred: Abba


photo cred: Abba



photo cred: Brandon (Media Day)








photo cred: Uch







Intentional Outdoor Hours: 442+ hours (of 1000)
My black-eyed Susans and Hollyhock are going HAM and what a beautiful sight it is! The kids snagged tons of hours this week out on the black top riding bikes (yay!) and we were all in the goat pasture a considerable amount of time because...BABIES! 

Reading and really trying to get into Firefly Lane by Kristin Hannah but I'm just not feeling it. I'm going to take a break for awhile - so I switched to Wool by Hugh Howey

40th Birthday miles - Over half way done this week! I got my 20th mile with Aunt Dar (1.74 miles), Mile 21 with Jenn V (1.62 miles), Mile 22 with Ang K (2.37 miles), Mile 23 with my Dad (1.1 miles), and Mile 24 with my school bestie Renee (1.62 miles).

Organizing Brandon's office. We went into school on Sunday morning to rearrange and decorate B's new office and it was so satisfying to see the transformation at the end. Our philosophy about work spaces is that since we spend most of our day in that space - it should be a place we feel comfortable and enjoy looking at! That is why my classroom is always bursting with color and non-florescent lights (even as a high school teacher) and why it was important for us to get B outfitted in his office before the school year/football season gears up. Next up: the football coaches' office! hah!

Basketball court blacktop day! What an event; the kids and I all sat out on the back porch and watched in awe the whole time, hah! They were done in about 4 hours and it was pretty amazing to see how all the machines worked and to see it go from a muddy pit into a beautiful, smooth blacktop! We worked with DB Paving and had a really great experience with them. By Saturday, we were ready to dig and pour concrete for the basketball hoop anchor. Mr. Mike (our neighbor & friend) brought his post hole digger over to help us dig out the space (thankyou!) and Grey & B finished off the hole, the concrete frame, and then the cement to get the anchor in place. We had the kids put their handprints in the concrete for the timestamp memory. Now it has to sit for at least 72 hours and we will be able to put the hoop up! 

Waking up everyday this week with excitement in my chest. You guys, why am I this way?! August 1st meant my soul was whispering every single morning, 'Psst, it's almost fall' Some people get hyped about Christmas or their birthday or summer....but it is all fall for me. I love back to school (the Sharpies! the learning! the routine of weekdays!) I love football season (the lights! the band! the chants/cheers! the game! the coach, lol) I love the weather (the chill in the air! the hoodies and flip flops! THE LEAVES! the sunsets!) I love the flavors (apple! pumpkin! cinnamon! soup!) I am nerding out right now just typing this....I was so hyped up I honestly almost made pumpkin chocolate chip cookies one day but then I was like "TABITHA! get ahold of yourself?! It is still summer!!" so I made zucchini cookies instead, but the itch for fall is hardcore on my heart. 

Supply drop (hah). I had my Scotty's Potty (porta-potty) delivered because I'm hopeful to set up Studerbabies Farm & Free Play events through October! And we had all our back porch supplies delivered for Mr. Darren who will be finishing it for us next week. We got shake siding for the back porch and then our new siding for at least the back of the house (above the porch). So excited for that to look beautiful but then also be protected from the elements! 

Happy for my parents who put their beautiful home and property up for sale this week. It is bittersweet obviously with all the memories there (their home and before that, my grandparents' home) but I am excited for the next phase of their life and truly, I know memories live in our hearts - not in things or in places. 

Knocking out appointments (and snagging that needed paperwork!) before the school year starts. Gemma had her 11 year old well check and physical ..oh, you know, only 6 months late (good grief!) She was a trooper for her vaccinations and is officially taller than her momma at 5'5". Redland had his first dentist visit and sat so well for it. Both got thumbs up! 

Throwing a Football Family Potluck Picnic at the Que. I had B invite all the Varsity & Jr High coaches, assistants, helpers, and volunteers - plus their families for a little preseason picnic. Everyone showed up with delicious food and great conversation while all our kids played together. I am hoping that it becomes a tradition because we are all going to going through the intense football season together and a little pick-me-up preseason picnic is what I need to gear me up! 

Upgraded fire pit! My Dad brought over the supplies and enlisted Grey into helping clean out our fire pit and laying new fire brick. It really needed it and I feel so grateful that it's done and that Grey was so helpful about it. Why do kids all work harder and more willing for anyone but their parents - hah!?

Summer playdates! Violet went to her friend Cooper's birthday party, Chum and Abba picked up Reddy for a play afternoon at the Que, and then Grey went kayaking with Abba and Chum that evening too! On Saturday we had visits at our house from our Rummell cousins, Uchie and the boys, and Kitty and Bryan. Everyone rode bikes and jumped on the trampoline and a million games of Tenzi were played. 

Sporting with youth fall sports! Rusty had three flag football practices, Violet and Gemma both had three days of mini cheer camp (I coach Gemma's squad). Gem also had one summer league basketball game. Grey had three days of weightlifting (including max outs) and two football conditioning practices. He also was announced at the AAABA baseball tournament since his pony league team earned second place this year (thanks for taking  him Conn family and for being there to clap for him Uch & Kev and nephews!) Brandon had two of Varsity conditioning and Media Day on Friday with photos and interviews. 

Making a concerted effort to actually meal plan for lunches and dinners; to make proper meals for our family. We flipped the calendar to August and I can feel the pressure to get back into the routine of life and not have it just be all Lord of the Flies everyday around here. I planned out some lunches this week including - Hawaiian roll baked sandwiches, egg roll in a bowl, and homemade mac&cheese. For dinners we had grilled chicken with haluski,  Hawaiian meatballs over rice, beef roast with potatoes and carrots in the crockpot, tacos, and pulled pork sandwiches. I made zucchini cookies with cream cheese icing for home and cake box mix chocolate chip cookies for our football family potluck.  

Whole30 for my final two days! I did it! 30 days with no grains, no legumes, no added sugar, no processed foods, and no booze! In total, I lost 12 lbs, but most of all, I feel a lot better. I know sugar is so bad for my body - makes me so sluggish and hungry constantly and I'm not ready to dive back into dairy quite yet...so I'm continuing eating completely whole30 unless something is a celebration or really seems worth a few bites (the Slow introduction suggestion). I did have one glass of white wine...and honestly it didn't really feel 'worth it' so still remaining sober at least for now. 

1 comment:

  1. Your blacktop is just the coolest! What a great space for your kids to play!
    That pic of Reddy and Liv- oh my holy twins!!! Their eyes and little faces look JUST alike. What absolute cutie-pies!
    But somehow, Liv also looks exactly like Wells in the pic of them on the blacktop. All those beautiful blue eyes!
    Thank you for sharing your gushing review of fall. I needed it. I am working on embracing it, and once it's here I do love it... but generally speaking SUMMER is my season and I always feel a little sad when it's over.
    But a stack of new books and some candles and the thought of cozy nights with my fam help! Love you!

    ReplyDelete