Remember these 2 kids

Thursday, June 6, 2013

There is this beautiful saying that always makes me smile when I occasionally see it [on pinterest]...


And a few weeks ago, in a very serendipitous moment, I was thinking of this quote while cleaning up a scrapbook that had fallen from our closet shelf.  I've been taping pictures of Brandon and I in since high school (its hilarious and cheesy) and that afternoon I came upon a picture of the two of us.  We are young and fresh faced and starry-eyed.  And I suddenly realized, WE were the someone elses praying for so many of the things we take for granted everyday in this very messy, usually chaotic life.

Once upon a time, when we were young and dating long distance - we used to dream about a life that we could share and make together.  We giggled about owning pets and raising kids with sticky hands, sharing a bed every night; while our young, eager bodies squeezed together into twin beds at Brandon's college or in my Brooklyn apartment.  We prayed for the day that we wouldn't be apart and we would be married, happy grown ups doing ordinary adult things - sharing bank accounts, and making each other dinners, ordering pizza from a place we considered to be 'our favorite.'  It all seemed so romantic and dream-like to be grown ups and married.

And now -  here we are.  Married, mostly happy, always busy, usually tired grown ups.

These past few weeks have been particularly happy, busy, and tiring - so in my moment of realization - I snatched that picture out of that floppy, worn scrapbook and stuck it to our bathroom mirror and above it I wrote, "Remember these 2 kids"


And there it has stayed for the last few weeks as a daily reminder that once upon a time - we were the somebodies wishing for all of these things that we sometimes take for granted.  We were just two kids praying for this life that we are sharing every day...and all the other tiring, busy junk just doesn't seem to bother us as much when we think of those 2 kids.

(i love you, B).

2 comments:

  1. Thank you! Thank you for reminding me of my dreams as a younger, not-yet-married woman, and that I a m living those dreams now! It's good to be reminded :) (Do you know the Beach Boys song, "Wouldn't it be nice"? That was my theme song when we were dating and engaged :) )

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so sweet! Also -- you two look exactly the same!

    ReplyDelete